IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hours?
Took me longer to install snow leopard on my Daughter MBP than it did on my Mini9 which only took a longer than an upgrade on my iMac.

Hours of work to you == exactly the same amount for me.

And I'm not the only one who thinks/has experienced this.
New Mini9 is a special case.
I'd like to be able to build a cheap, fast, quad-core machine and have the freedom to put Linux, OSX and Winders on it (or run them all in virtual machines on the same desktop). You can mostly do that now if you're willing to do lots of reading and hackery, if you've got the right parts. Psystar is promising something much easier.

My play time is much more precious than it used to be. I'm willing to spend a few bucks to save a few hours of research and fiddling.

I'm not against spending money on Apple hardware, but the value proposition has to be there. If I can build or buy a fast Core i7 machine for under $1k, it's hard to see spending 2-4x that for a MacPro that's at least a generation behind. Maybe Apple's new MacPro machines (what's taking them so long to update the MacPro to the i7?) will make the point moot for a while.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Mini9 is a special case.
I think that part of the value proposition of a Mac is OS X itself.

Either OS X is worth the extra hardware spend to you, or it isn't. No point buying it if you're going to go outside the licence; might as well just torrent it and save yourself the money, unless you're in the habit of giving money to large profitable corporations for shits and giggles.

Bottom line, in my opinion, is this: OS X is expensive. It's worth it to me, so much so that I'm prepared to spend the money on a Mac to get it.

Until the licence says you can install it on anything (and the day Apple becomes a software company will be the death of it; I don't believe that OS X can survive as a standalone product in direct competition with Microsoft Windows) then I won't be Hackintoshing.

Apple's business plan and licence might reduce freedom in one dimension - the freedom to install OS X on any computer as you see fit - but it also ensures the survival of the company and the operating system, thus ensuring that I actually have a realistic choice of desktop operating system, assuming for a moment I don't want to run Linux. I think that it's only the tie of OS X to Apple hardware that means that either continues to exist.

I think that in the event of a legal challenge to Apple's licence terms ("...an Apple-labeled computer..."), the victory, which I think would be likely, would be pyhrric. The result would be, a Windows monoculture, with Linux and other free operating systems scavenging the low single-digit percentage that can't or won't run Windows.

And that'd be a bit of a shit sandwich, wouldn't it?
New It's a good argument.
Yeah, if a Bugatti Veyron was $50k it would be more appealing to me. But then, it wouldn't be a Bugatti Veyron....

A person can dream, can't they? ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Your opinion has been noted.
Thanks.
Expand Edited by folkert Oct. 24, 2009, 09:14:02 AM EDT
New You're welcome.
ETA: Sensitive much?
Expand Edited by pwhysall Oct. 24, 2009, 09:17:07 AM EDT
New Re: You're welcome.
Previous history, 'twern you and me.
     Psystar Rebel EFI - (Another Scott) - (7)
         Hours? - (folkert) - (6)
             Mini9 is a special case. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Re: Mini9 is a special case. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                     It's a good argument. - (Another Scott)
                     Your opinion has been noted. - (folkert) - (2)
                         You're welcome. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             Re: You're welcome. - (folkert)

MY SUGGESTIONS ARE THE RESULT OF COUNTLESS NANOSECONDS OF COGITATION! HOW DARE YOU REJECT THEM?!?
139 ms