IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Money == Power
And corporations have the money.

Which isn't to say that a political system couldn't be set up that limited the influence of money.

Just that we haven't constructed one yet.

Something about the people who are governed by those rules also write those rules.
New Why no such system will ever be devised here.
>> Which isn't to say that a political system couldn't be set up that limited
>> the influence of money.

Because Money == Power, the only way to set up such a political system that I am familiar with is through violent revolution. But, getting people to support a violent overthrow of their government requires at least one thing: hunger.

As the world's breadbasket, the US will never have enough of its people truly hungry enough to support a violent overthrow. Hence, those that possess the money/power will forever remain those who possess the money/power. Consequently, who they select to represent us is really of no serious consequence whatsoever.
New Cynical you are, Grasshopper.
Consequently, who they select to represent us is really of no serious consequence whatsoever.
Since the government seems to be little more than a means to redistribute wealth now, all that changes from administration to administration is hwo is robbed and who is gifted.

I recall something someone said about the discovery that you can vote yourself funds from the public coffer and how this will doom any democracy (I think that was the phrasing). All that remains is to determine what form our government will take while still claiming to be a "democratic republic".
New Even less than that.
>> ... all that changes from administration to administration is hwo is robbed and who
>> is gifted.

I'll grant that so-called "progressives" (aka Democrats) are slightly less forthright about funneling money up the food chain. However, to say that any of the recent crop is actually interested in forcing a more fair distribution of wealth than the capitalist economy accomplishes is reaching very far indeed.

The most recent "progressive" (Clinton) only stopped the bleeding of the bottom 80%. In real terms, their wealth just stopped diminishing. For instance, during the Reagan-Bush "greed is not enough" period, the top 1% went from holding roughly 7% of all private wealth to holding more than 12%. The "progressive" President Clinton didn't do anything about that massive shift upwards, but he did manage to stop the bleeding. The distribution of private wealth remained almost constant under his direction. Does that mean he "redistributed" wealth? I think not.

Interesting and very simple to see why the economy boomed during this period. It was aided significantly by the fact that, at least for 8 years, Joe and Molly sixpack saw that they weren't losing ground. This was enough to boost their confidence (which is a necessary feature for our economy to thrive) and they went shopping, fueling demand, etc., etc. It amazes me that "supply-siders" still don't get it. You used to have to give Joe and Molly some money to spend (i.e. redistribute wealth); now it appears that all you have to do is stop stealing from them (supply-side economics) and they'll respond.

My point is that the choices for Joe and Molly don't matter much: either status quo or lose ground. Although, I'll concede that insofar as status quo is better than losing ground, it may make a difference yet who is in charge.

New In a static system, I'd agree with you.
My point is that the choices for Joe and Molly don't matter much: either status quo or lose ground. Although, I'll concede that insofar as status quo is better than losing ground, it may make a difference yet who is in charge.
If the system were static, then maintaining the staus quo would be adequate (far better than dropping behind).

But we go through cycles of different administrations. Maintaining for 8 years and then losing for 8 years still results in a net lose.

Not to mention that this pattern doesn't have much flexibility to handle unexpected emergencies. Such as our current recession (on a national scale) or extended unemployment (on a personal scale).

To really maintain the status quo, Joe and Molly would have to go through periods of real gain to counter the periods of real loss. This would, hopefully, level out some of the more drastic economic swings (savings to fall back on in this recession).
New Yes.
Everything you said in your last post is why I stated initially that "it doesn't make much difference". ;-)
     Election reform bubbling up from grass roots efforts - (Silverlock) - (29)
         article was confusing to me - (boxley) - (8)
             They should have given some examples - (drewk) - (7)
                 how about gore/bush ? -NT - (boxley) - (6)
                     Been trying to figure that out - (drewk) - (5)
                         First choice, second choice. - (Silverlock) - (3)
                             Ahh, got it - (drewk) - (2)
                                 No need - (ben_tilly)
                                 Good point - (Silverlock)
                         There is a simple resolution - (ben_tilly)
         Will people understand how it works? - (drewk) - (17)
             Were's our Oz contingent? - (Silverlock) - (1)
                 Sorry, don't normally pay that much attention to this forum. - (static)
             It is really quite simple - (ben_tilly) - (14)
                 Death of the two-party system - (Ric Locke) - (5)
                     Potentially a problem - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
                         Military power outside borders? - (wharris2)
                         POTENTIAL problem? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                             The Robot or the Dummy? - (nking)
                     Bring back the Whigs! - (nking)
                 180 from Jackson. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                     May have been the right solution for the time - (JayMehaffey)
                     Money == Power - (Brandioch) - (5)
                         Why no such system will ever be devised here. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                             Cynical you are, Grasshopper. - (Brandioch) - (3)
                                 Even less than that. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                     In a static system, I'd agree with you. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                         Yes. - (mmoffitt)
         <cartman>Kick ass</cartman> - (Brandioch)
         Let's watch this.... next. -NT - (Ashton)

If nautical nonsense be what ye wish...
62 ms