IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Little harsh there, don't you think?
You make it sound like computer systems are notoriously unreliable, perhaps due to their inherent complexity. Do you really think the recent history of computing bears out such a pessimistic outlook?
--

Drew
New I think it was right on...
I personally feel that the entire stack of people responsible for this screw up:

The people that gave the OK to Hitachi. FIRST!

The people in charge of backups (tested backups).

The people that planned this event without properly recognizing the risks and there fore having the contingency plan all setup.

The SAN Operators that allowed this to proceed with out proper SNAPSHOT saved off to another SAN, unless they were (provably) strong-armed.

Last but not least the CTO and IT Managers, possibly even the CEO as the ultimate responsibility is his.

And Yes, Computers are KNOWN to be that un-reliable. Google doesn't even fix broken machines in data centers. They have a policy that *IF* a machine stops responding, a reboot request to the "console setup" they have. If the machine comes back, it is automatically re-imaged and made "better". If it fails to respond, it is shutdown and left to decay in place until the "rack" itself is removed.

They figure its going to cost them a minimum of $600 to send a warm body out there, find the machine, reboot it and (possibly) fix it. When the cost of a new machine for them is so low... its not even worth the time and effort to deal with failures any other way than to ignore them.
New Well played, sir. :-)
New Oh dude... did he zing me or what?
Of course, I live it. So its hard to see the sarcasm when you are so close to it.
     rofl microsoft - (boxley) - (20)
         Check how the business press reports it - (crazy)
         Blame shifted to Hitachi - (scoenye) - (18)
             I was afriad of that.... - (folkert) - (17)
                 not so fast, with SAN connectivity getting smarter - (boxley) - (12)
                     Not so fast yourself... - (folkert) - (11)
                         YOU do I ADVOCATE that, doesnt mean that it happens -NT - (boxley) - (9)
                             Re: YOU do I ADVOCATE that, doesnt mean that it happens - (folkert) - (1)
                                 Saved in several places -NT - (boxley)
                             inexcusable - (Steve Lowe) - (6)
                                 Little harsh there, don't you think? - (drook) - (3)
                                     I think it was right on... - (folkert)
                                     Well played, sir. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         Oh dude... did he zing me or what? - (folkert)
                                 That should be "'hanged' from the nearest yardarm" . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 rman to a different array than database - (daemon)
                         Test? You're supposed to test? - (jbrabeck)
                 Yup, saw it coming - (crazy) - (3)
                     I have no direct experience with Hitachi... - (scoenye) - (2)
                         EMC is as good as hitachi - (boxley)
                         I have buddy that for for HDS - (Steve Lowe)

Secret sauce.
87 ms