IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Seen similar comparisons before
Basically people keep rediscovering that the more intrusive you make the advertising, the better your conversion percentage. What I haven't seen any of them talk about is whether they saw any impact on retention of regular readers after making the ads so annoying.
--

Drew
New ezBoard might have some data. :-/
They may not want to share, though.

I don't know if you've seen this, but it might be helpful - a little calculator on what you "should" charge (scroll down).

http://onlineads.dig...sponsorships.html

Have fun. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New I like the math, but the income per visitor is way off
In some segments you might get $10/day off 1,000 visitors, but I never came close to that.
--

Drew
New Re: Seen similar comparisons before
Here are numbers from one person:

You can reasonably expect that when you begin commercializing a free site, some people will complain, depending on how you do it. I launched this site in October 2004, and I began putting Google Adsense ads on the site in February 2005. There were some complaints, but I expected that — it was really no big deal. Less than 1 in 5,000 visitors actually sent me negative feedback. Most people who sent feedback were surprisingly supportive. Most of the complaints died off within a few weeks, and the site began generating income almost immediately, although it was pretty low — a whopping $53 the first month. If you’d like to see some month-by-month specifics, I posted my 2005 Adsense revenue figures earlier this year. Adsense is still my single best source of revenue for this site, although it’s certainly not my only source.

http://www.stevepavl...y-from-your-blog/

And it's not necessarily intrusiveness. People naturally look at things on the top and left of a page (well, left-right top-down languages, I'm sure). The comparison I can't find talked about size and obnoxiousness of the ads didn't really matter. Contextual relevance and position did.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Position *is* obnoxiousness
Best converting ad position is "in content". In other words, in the middle of the article, there's a two-inch break for an ad. Totally disruptive. And the more it mimics the article layout, the better the conversion.
--

Drew
     Need Colo/VSP recommendation. - (mvitale) - (32)
         If you hadn't have said "cheap"... - (static)
         Re: Need Colo/VSP recommendation. - (jones) - (30)
             How do photo sites deal with bandwidth - (drook) - (29)
                 same way google does, oversubscription - (boxley)
                 Flickr and Yahoo - (jones) - (27)
                     Who would that be? - (drook) - (26)
                         Unmetered Bandwidth - (jones) - (25)
                             Thanks, checking them out now - (drook) - (24)
                                 Slightly OT - I can't see the blog host from here... - (malraux) - (23)
                                     Soon as I find a new host with good bandwidth ... - (drook) - (22)
                                         I can see the main site, but not the blog. - (malraux) - (21)
                                             Can't believe I'm about to ask this, but ... - (drook) - (20)
                                                 third retry, I got kegmobile.com - (folkert)
                                                 I don't need to. - (malraux) - (11)
                                                     And from home it's the other way 'round. - (malraux) - (10)
                                                         And now? - (drook) - (9)
                                                             WOOT! Everything looks right! - (folkert)
                                                             Re: And now? - (malraux) - (7)
                                                                 Cool, thanks -NT - (drook) - (6)
                                                                     I can't find that article I mentioned - (malraux) - (5)
                                                                         Seen similar comparisons before - (drook) - (4)
                                                                             ezBoard might have some data. :-/ - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                 I like the math, but the income per visitor is way off - (drook)
                                                                             Re: Seen similar comparisons before - (malraux) - (1)
                                                                                 Position *is* obnoxiousness - (drook)
                                                 Dude... - (folkert) - (6)
                                                     Check your email -NT - (drook) - (5)
                                                         Checked and replying... - (folkert) - (4)
                                                             Ahh, gmail was the first I found, I still had it in my inbox -NT - (drook) - (3)
                                                                 Sentededed. - (folkert) - (2)
                                                                     Will you be around tonight? - (drook) - (1)
                                                                         Sure. - (folkert)

They're trying to teach you math by brainwashing you.
97 ms