IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Perl 5.6.1 available
Red Hat sent me the following info:

Perl 5.6.1 now available

Red Hat Linux 7.2 shipped with perl 5.6.0. This errata updates that release to Perl 5.6.1, which contains numerous bugfixes, enhancements, and improvements, while maintaining full backwards compatibility. The perldelta(1) man page contains full lists of improvements, far too numerous to list here.

Description:
Perl 5.6.0 contains a number of bugs fixed in the latest release, Perl 5.6.1. A number of Perl modules, such as CGI, have also been updated to match the versions shipped with Perl 5.6.1. Some of these modules have been split into separate packages for easier management and upgrading.

References: [link|http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6.1/pod/perldelta.html|PerlDoc.]
Alex

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of
thought which they avoid." -- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)
New Um, it has been available for ages
Personally I would never use 5.6.0 anywhere I cared about. Some of the bugs were very serious.

5.6.1 is much better, though for stability I prefer 5.005_03.

Hopefully by this summer we will have 5.8.0 which will be a massive improvement in QA. (Massive enough that I am thinking of going straight from 5.005_03 to 5.8.x.)

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New Red Hat must be slow in packaging, testing, whatever.
I got the note about Perl 5.6.1 from the Red Hat Network thingy just 2 days ago.

Thanks for mentioning that it's been available a while. Now, you have me wondering how speedy Red Hat is in propagating updates.
Alex

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of
thought which they avoid." -- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)
New "A while" means nearly a year
[link|http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6.1/pod/perlhist.html|Release timeline]

Note that 5.6.1 was April 8, 2001.

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
     Perl 5.6.1 available - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
         Um, it has been available for ages - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             Red Hat must be slow in packaging, testing, whatever. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 "A while" means nearly a year - (ben_tilly)

So anyway...
48 ms