IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Inventory Control Program
I'm helping a friend. She has started a linen rental business. She has asked me if there is a program to help her keep track of inventory, so she doesn't overbook.

x colored linen go out on day of event or day prior, get picked up after the event, either same day or following day, then need to be cleaned/pressed for y days.

Just got the request. I'll be doing my own research tonight when I get back from my roofing project. But I thought I ask if anyone knows of such a program already.

Thanks,
Joe
New any accounting program can do that
linen in and out and where it went is the same as AR/AP just linens instead of dollars
New But accounting programs don't track square and round dollars
--

Drew
New it certainly can
a unit is a unit of measure whether linens dollars or recyclable bottles
New But it won't work off-the-shelf
Accounting programs track dollars. All the screens/forms will assume that there's only one unit of measure in use. Inventory needs multiple units.

I also don't think most accounting programs are set up for the type of availability scheduling he needs. I'm sure there are inventory apps that already handle this. It's just a question of how much they cost.
--

Drew
New off the shelf is fine
inventory of bedsheets towels tableclothes

GL accounts
bedsheets
towels
tableclothes
money

A/P
where fresh linens are due to be delivered to customers
Custname
Towel delivery date due
Bedsheets delivery date due
tableclothes delivery date due
Money delivery date due (the cleaner or upstream linen owner)

A/R
where dirty linens are to be picked up
Custname
Towel Pickupdate
Bedsheet pickupdate
tableclothes pickup date
Money date to bill date expected to receive

Reporting
outstanding dirty clean P/L and sales
New Re: Inventory Control Program
Ok, but would an accounting program be able to tell her what will be available on any given day? Bookings are sometimes a year out.

Mary books 300 linens for Jun 1, with return on Jun 2. Terry calls and wants to book 400 linens for Jun 5th. Sarah wants 300 on Jun 8th.

Does my friend have enough linens available?

Not quite as simple as that because we also have to worry about color of linens.

How would your accounting AR/AP handle that? Wouldn't a hotel room booking program be closer to her needs?

New Rental Industry Software does what she needs
There are quite a few out there.

From minimal cost and ability at $30 to sizable at $350 to OMG it HUGE at $200K+

I just perused about 30 different products

Using google, "Rental Inventory Software" gave the best widest selection returned.
New Re: Rental Industry Software does what she needs
Found some this morning. Of course the ones I found either didn't state price (and told me when they called) or said $1500-$4000. I'll do further research along this line.

Thanks.
New just pay 195 and get quickbooks
Track inventory, set reorder points & create purchase orders

http://quickbooks.in...cial-software.jsp
I use the free quicken that came with my mac and could set up a full inventory system using account codes very easiloy but the pro version has an inventory module. Managing inventory is an accounting function.
New Re: just pay 195 and get quickbooks
I've used Quickbooks. There inventory is structured for sale of inventory, not rental, from what I recall.

But I will further investigate.

Thanks
New Re: just pay 195 and get quickbooks
Yeah, to use the built in QB inventory system you would want to record the initial purchase of the rental items as plain assets, then record the count as inventory items with zero price so it doesn't effect the financial aspects of the inventory system. To rent an item you would put the zero cost item on the invoice to reduce the count along with a separate line item for the rental fee. When the customer returns the rental items, issue a credit memo to up the inventory count. Of course this doesn't solve the scheduling problem. QB does have an extensive 3rd party ecosystem though, and if necessary an API.
     Inventory Control Program - (jbrabeck) - (11)
         any accounting program can do that - (boxley) - (4)
             But accounting programs don't track square and round dollars -NT - (drook) - (3)
                 it certainly can - (boxley) - (2)
                     But it won't work off-the-shelf - (drook) - (1)
                         off the shelf is fine - (boxley)
         Re: Inventory Control Program - (jbrabeck) - (5)
             Rental Industry Software does what she needs - (folkert) - (1)
                 Re: Rental Industry Software does what she needs - (jbrabeck)
             just pay 195 and get quickbooks - (boxley) - (2)
                 Re: just pay 195 and get quickbooks - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                     Re: just pay 195 and get quickbooks - (altmann)

Gotta catch 'em all!
102 ms