IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New boy-howdy, *that* was a shocker!
In all the years since I migrated to OS X, I've never encountered what happened just now: an application crash that brought the whole thing down, just like in the bad days of Systems 6, 7, 8, 9. True, I was probably leaning hard on my 2GB of installed RAM, with half a dozen applications and twice that many browser screens open, and true that I was using my highly superannuated web authoring software (I'm reluctantly making the transition to Dreamweaver, but a non-profit that the spousette is involved in needs a quick-and-dirty replacement site by tomorrow night) under Rosetta, but as, two hours into the session, I attempted to save a preposterously simple HTML file, nuttin' but text, the machine first stalled (the sinister spinning Grey Gear of Cognition for a minute and change) and then emitted a soft pop and displayed a Blue Screen of Swoon.

I must say that it recovered its poise in about a quarter of the time that a pre-SL normal boot-up would have required, and seems none the worse for wear, and that while some work was lost, none of it was important. Still, it was disconcerting to have the whole shebang go down like that. I'm hoping it was an anomaly.

cordially,
New I saw similar things on a PC running Win2k once.
It was a machine with 512 MB of RAM and generally worked fine, but over the years it would occasionally lock-up or reboot overnight (the machine had to run 24/7). Upping the RAM to 2 GB fixed that problem.

For completeness, you might want to run a memory tester. E.g. http://www.macintouc...am/topic2118.html

HTH. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
     boy-howdy, *that* was a shocker! - (rcareaga) - (1)
         I saw similar things on a PC running Win2k once. - (Another Scott)

When things get spooky... blame it on the Boogie!
56 ms