IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I find all this stuff rather scary, myself.
I was browsing around Google Apps - http://www.google.co.../group/index.html - and noticed that they will register a domain name (or, actually, have someone else do it) for $10 a year. Not bad. Lots of stuff is included with Google Docs, but...

Of course, Google scans everything to enable ads, that's understood. (I dunno if they have a paid version where one can encrypt one's stuff by default, or something.) And one can't put one's pr0n there. ;-)

But what about all of this other stuff that you're fighting with? Or spam on a Wiki one sets up, or ...

I'm beginning to think that I've waited too long to start thinking about setting up a more permanent presence on the Internet. Who has time for all of this minutia? :-(

Good luck!

[edit:] Apps, not Docs.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Sept. 1, 2009, 08:57:25 PM EDT
New I guess it's a noble effort.
I'm tempted to say 'this is why I have a permanent IP address and my own server', but I set it up years and years ago, long before Google Apps was around. Or even thought of.

At least I can put *anything* I want up on my server. The only thing prohibitied by my ISP is spamming or internet attacks. And I think the latter may only really be prohibited just against other customers of my ISP.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New I've been thinking about going the OTHER way.
taking my $50/month and using other resources,

Google Apps (the pay for it version) for mail and calendar, etc...

using Google Sites for my website...

among other options.

Personally I don't care if Google scans my trash, they can get it anyway if they try hard.

I can probably pay less than $50/month and get more services (by a factor of 10). Google for Blogs, Apps, Mail, etc. DNSMADEEASY for DNS hosting. Plus I can have a ton of account (for me anyway) on Google for stuff.
New That's the direction I've been going
Like the saying goes, "Never write any software except what you're selling." If someone else makes it, use that one. For me, I've extended that to hosting and configuring. Use the pushbutton Wordpress installation and accept the defaults. (And write a custom theme, of course.) Use the default email options. Follow the host's recommendations for DNS configuration.

If setting this stuff up were my job, I'd want to understand it. It's not, so I don't.
--

Drew
     Any way to see if ISPs are blocking my domain? - (drook) - (29)
         not that way - (boxley) - (14)
             Symptoms suggest a block, not DNS - (drook) - (13)
                 maybe a corporate ban? - (boxley) - (12)
                     Yup, sounds like a problem at the user's end. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
                         That's what I thought until I got the second report - (drook) - (10)
                             More Like Cache Poisoning. - (folkert) - (9)
                                 looks like that "shortcut" domain might be available. - (folkert) - (4)
                                     How would that help me? -NT - (drook) - (3)
                                         Re: How would that help me? - (folkert) - (2)
                                             It's got to be pronounceable - (drook) - (1)
                                                 The 301 is a single re-write rule in Apache. - (folkert)
                                 Dammit, just got another report it's not coming up - (drook) - (3)
                                     What is comes down to I think... - (folkert) - (2)
                                         How about "ns1.aplus.net"? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                             Sweet! - (folkert)
         pro2.abac.com == 66.226.64.3 == cooklikeyourgrandmother.com - (folkert) - (13)
             one more, you've got *NO* SPF/DKIM/SenderIP records... - (folkert) - (12)
                 I dont have DKIM senderid spf and Im not blocked :-) - (boxley) - (2)
                     Yes, I understand that Bill. - (folkert) - (1)
                         Re: Yes, I understand that Bill. - (boxley)
                 Bleurgh ... gotta do some reading - (drook) - (8)
                     I find all this stuff rather scary, myself. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         I guess it's a noble effort. - (static) - (2)
                             I've been thinking about going the OTHER way. - (folkert) - (1)
                                 That's the direction I've been going - (drook)
                     here ya go - (boxley) - (3)
                         Are you serious? - (drook) - (2)
                             stuff like that interests me, but I understand it - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Speaking of sausage, You see the recent... - (folkert)

Huh? Doesn't even rhyme!
69 ms