IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New maybe a corporate ban?
most ISPs dont block sites by IP range unless its temporary and if they were blocking the IP the detail page wouldnt have come up either. Same with blocking the domain name. Do they get a block message or does the page time out? Some ISPs will do a redirect on a suspect Webpage to a warning page but they usually block the entire site, not parts of it.
New Yup, sounds like a problem at the user's end.
New That's what I thought until I got the second report
I've asked both of them for details about what they see, and what ISP they use. Nothing I can do until I get more info.

===

Okay, got the response:
I got to this page through Google cache link to your page - it shows a cached version of the blog which it keeps on its servers. The link to comments from this cached page opened this Blogger URL, so I now come directly to the Blogger comment page (which shows up normally). When I go to http://blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com, this error message shows up: "Firefox can't find the server at blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com." Yep, weird. I noticed this when I followed the link to your fake food article from my RSS feed. I think it worked fine last week.

So it does seem to be a DNS issue. And this report is from someone in Slovenia. Hmmm ... could someone have hijacked the DNS in Slovenia to send spam from "me"?
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Sept. 2, 2009, 02:29:34 AM EDT
New More Like Cache Poisoning.
Cache poisoning for Google's entries is more like it.

To bad they didn't try for www.'clygm'.com

Might have told you more.
New looks like that "shortcut" domain might be available.
clygm looks to be available.

Might be something worth exploring, and since "domain tasting" is a thing of the past, it might just be a good thing.
New How would that help me?
--

Drew
New Re: How would that help me?
For blogs other than yours?

You have to admit:

cooklikeyourgrandmother.com

is a LOT hard to type and get right than:

clygm.com

And given the Tweets/SMS/IM character limits, shorter is always better.

I know you aren't going after the IM/SMS crowd, but it never hurts to plan ahead in case you NEED it. Considering the price per year... $1/month or less, is it really *NOT* worth having it at least reserved? (or owned but not used)
New It's got to be pronounceable
Dave Weiner over at scripting.com has been doing a lot of work lately on URL shortening services. The problem is that if one of them goes down a large number of links go dead. His solution is that you have to own your own short names.

Having the short URL for my own links would solve that problem, but at the expense of having to set up a 301 redirect for every hit to it, pointing to the corresponding long URL. My URLs are pretty long after the domain anyway, so it's not really saving that much.

My site isn't really conducive to reading on a phone anyway, unless you've got enough screen space to be using email instead of SMS anyway, so I'm not terribly worried about the short URLs.

Bottom line is I can say "cook like your grandmother dot com" and people get it right. "see el why gee em" won't stick more than 30 seconds for most people.
--

Drew
New The 301 is a single re-write rule in Apache.
As for the pronounceable short URLs...

I think you are missing the point in the first place. But I can see your point, stinking in the brain is important.

cooklygm.com

greg@maxime:~ [0] $ whois -H cooklygm.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

No match for "COOKLYGM.COM".
>>> Last update of whois database: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 16:19:57 UTC <<<

And the Redirect would be something like:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} blog.cooklygm.com$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} cooklygm.com$
RewriteRule ^/$ http://blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com/ [R=301,L]

New Dammit, just got another report it's not coming up
This one is local, from right here in Cleveland.

Is there any way to find out what various DNS servers have my domain pointing to?
--

Drew
New What is comes down to I think...
Is your DNS servers aren't properly setup with IP addresses.

greg@maxime:~ [0] $ whois -H cooklikeyourgrandmother.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

Domain Name: COOKLIKEYOURGRANDMOTHER.COM
Registrar: ABACUS AMERICA, INC. DBA NAMES4EVER
Whois Server: whois.names4ever.com
Referral URL: http://www.names4ever.com
Name Server: NS1.ABAC.COM
Name Server: NS2.ABAC.COM
Updated Date: 02-nov-2008
Creation Date: 01-nov-2007
Expiration Date: 01-nov-2009

>>> Last update of whois database: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 19:44:36 UTC <<<

[snip]
Record last updated on 2008-11-03 00:00:00
Record created on 2007-11-01 00:00:00
Record expires on 2009-11-01 00:00:00

Domain servers in listed order:
ns1.abac.com 216.55.128.4
ns2.abac.com

Notice anything missing there?
New How about "ns1.aplus.net"?
--

Drew
New Sweet!
Just what you need.

Still has not propagated yet.

Dude, that sucks!

There is a reason I do my own DNS. I've only ever considered using DNSMADEEASY as they have 14 geo-located DCs that can fail over traffic and do it right.

But oh well, this might learn ya to run DNS separate from Registrar.

https://www.dnsmadee...06/price/dns.html

They have a 100% uptime guarantee. $30/year for 5 million DNS queries a month.

DNS is critical to making your site WORK, you might want to take the extra step.
     Any way to see if ISPs are blocking my domain? - (drook) - (29)
         not that way - (boxley) - (14)
             Symptoms suggest a block, not DNS - (drook) - (13)
                 maybe a corporate ban? - (boxley) - (12)
                     Yup, sounds like a problem at the user's end. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
                         That's what I thought until I got the second report - (drook) - (10)
                             More Like Cache Poisoning. - (folkert) - (9)
                                 looks like that "shortcut" domain might be available. - (folkert) - (4)
                                     How would that help me? -NT - (drook) - (3)
                                         Re: How would that help me? - (folkert) - (2)
                                             It's got to be pronounceable - (drook) - (1)
                                                 The 301 is a single re-write rule in Apache. - (folkert)
                                 Dammit, just got another report it's not coming up - (drook) - (3)
                                     What is comes down to I think... - (folkert) - (2)
                                         How about "ns1.aplus.net"? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                             Sweet! - (folkert)
         pro2.abac.com == 66.226.64.3 == cooklikeyourgrandmother.com - (folkert) - (13)
             one more, you've got *NO* SPF/DKIM/SenderIP records... - (folkert) - (12)
                 I dont have DKIM senderid spf and Im not blocked :-) - (boxley) - (2)
                     Yes, I understand that Bill. - (folkert) - (1)
                         Re: Yes, I understand that Bill. - (boxley)
                 Bleurgh ... gotta do some reading - (drook) - (8)
                     I find all this stuff rather scary, myself. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         I guess it's a noble effort. - (static) - (2)
                             I've been thinking about going the OTHER way. - (folkert) - (1)
                                 That's the direction I've been going - (drook)
                     here ya go - (boxley) - (3)
                         Are you serious? - (drook) - (2)
                             stuff like that interests me, but I understand it - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Speaking of sausage, You see the recent... - (folkert)

You finding Ling-ling's head?
186 ms