IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Oh, c'mon, bandwidth minimal
I would bet almost any amount of money that the computers the screensaver was installed on had at least 10x more unauthorized bandwidth use by the users than by this screensaver.

SETI@home on the computers I've installed it to runs for a couple of days, then (even on a dialup connection) spends maybe two minutes sending data back to the central server. (OK, maybe three or five minutes if the server or connection is slow.)

If I were the employee, I'd ask for the logs showing internet usage and demonstrate there is NO FREAKING WAY it cost $400,000. (On the other hand, if that distributed screen server works differently from SETI@home, he still may be in some very hot water.)
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
New Maybe Bandwidth minimal
But the PHBs don't see it that way. Maybe they are also counting CPU time as well?

"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"  Moe Howard

New But those CPUs would have been just ticking over anyway.
So where's the cost savings of *not* running (=the cost of running) this ("screen-saver") software?

Are they going to try to figure it out from their electricity bill, perhaps?
     IT worker faces jail for installing... - (Fearless Freep) - (5)
         Excessive amount? - (tablizer) - (4)
             Ah the bandwidth, man, the bandwidth! - (orion) - (3)
                 Oh, c'mon, bandwidth minimal - (wharris2) - (2)
                     Maybe Bandwidth minimal - (orion) - (1)
                         But those CPUs would have been just ticking over anyway. - (CRConrad)

My schaden, it is freuded.
65 ms