IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New issue with 2 network adaptors in XP
My company set me up with a ComCast business account so I would have a static IP address for the VPN hardware.

Comcast configured the Business IP Gateway (cable modem+) so the IP is passed thru to the VPN hardware that's plugged into port 1 as the VPN hardware did not like being NATed. The other 3 ports are configured to provide DHCP outside of the VPN hardware. Did that so family or friends that are visiting don't have access to my company's network.

My work computer and IP phone are on 192.168.7.x. (the other company home offices are on subnets such as 192.168.1.x, 192.168.8.x, etc)

My home computers are on 10.x.x.x

Network jack on my laser printer died so I have it connected to my MacBook Pro, via USB, which shares it on the 10 network. My work laptop (Dell) has both wifi and wired ethernet, so I plugged the cable into the 192 network and joined the wifi to the 10 network so I could access the printer.

Worked pretty well for a month or two, but recently Outlook, FTP and PING stopped talking to the work servers. Some days it would work, other days not at all. What's weird is I could still access shared folders on the same servers via \192.168.x.x\sharedfolder on the days that Outlook/FTP/PING wouldn't work.

I've had issues with the Dell's wifi in the past, so I turned it off and everything started talking again. I dug out an old USB-Ethernet adaptor and tried that - it worked fine for a few days, but then the same Outlook/FTP/PING issue started up again.

I suspect that what's happening is the Outlook/FTP/PING traffic is getting routed to the 10 network even though shared folders via \serverfolder are being routed correctly.

Any ideas?

I did try getting a USB-Parallel adaptor for my laser printer. The XP saw the printer and configured it, but print jobs fail to go to the printer. Perhaps the printer doesn't like both the parallel and USB ports connected at the same time.
New On the last...
I did try getting a USB-Parallel adaptor for my laser printer. The XP saw the printer and configured it, but print jobs fail to go to the printer. Perhaps the printer doesn't like both the parallel and USB ports connected at the same time.

My cheap B&W Lexmark laser at home is using both the Parallel (PC) and USB interfaces (Mac). Both work fine. I haven't tried a USB->Parallel adapter - I'd honestly be surprised if that worked reliably since the interfaces are so different.

How about a USB to Ethernet adapter for your printer? Something like this: http://www.provantag...-100~7QMS900L.htm (There may be cheaper things out there.)

I can't help on the networking stuff. I haven't ever tried to run 2 different subnets simultaneously. I assume you've seen things like this - http://www.uregina.c...535/cctn535.shtml

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: On the last...
I've used USB-Parallel adaptors in the past. At my prior job one of my projects was a label printing station that was hooked up to 6 Zebra printers. The adaptors worked fine, though Windows not so much - it would occasionally forget about the adaptors and act like they were new. In and of itself that wasn't a problem, but it tended to assign the port numbers in a different order than before. That resulted in labels being sent to the wrong printer so we ended up adding extra serial and parallel cards and connected the printers that way.

USB-ethernet adaptor still leaves the Dell needing to talk to 2 networks.

Read over the link. Didn't see anything that helped.

Thanks anyway!
New I had one for a while that was like that.
I had to buy it for my sister after we discovered her new PC had no parallel ports, but her printer was not USB. :-/ Unfortunately, the adapter I found I don't think had a proper USB device id; everytime Windows started it found it as a "new" device.

She eventually replaced the printer.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Printing quirk.

This is quite possible. It is also possible the printer has to be explicitly setup to use the parallel port.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Success
I couldn't find my manual so I hit Xerox's site and downloaded a copy. There's no conflict with USB and Parallel; however, there is a conflict with ethernet and parallel!

Even though the printer's ethernet port is dead, it was still the "active interface". I switched it to parallel and printing now works from the Dell and my MBP :-D
New just noticed \ acts goofy
two in front of server, 1 in front of folder:
\serverfolder

three in front of server, 2 in front of folder:
\server\folder

four in front of server, 2 in front of folder:
\\server\folder

interesting.
New Think of unix "escaping"
using a backslash takes away special meaning in *NIX.
New I'm aware of it
I code in C/C++ for work and have to escape characters in strings all the time. I just wasn't expecting it to occur in the posts :-)
     issue with 2 network adaptors in XP - (SpiceWare) - (8)
         On the last... - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Re: On the last... - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                 I had one for a while that was like that. - (static)
         Printing quirk. - (static) - (1)
             Success - (SpiceWare)
         just noticed \ acts goofy - (SpiceWare) - (2)
             Think of unix "escaping" - (folkert) - (1)
                 I'm aware of it - (SpiceWare)

CROP CIRCLES APPEAR ON HUMAN HEADS!
97 ms