IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I was sufficiently out of the loop...
that I never—never—saw a single second of Tim Russert on television or, for that matter, on YouTube. I know what his face looked like from web postings. I'm accordingly obliged to recuse myself from venturing an opinion on the interesting question you pose.

cordially,
New Not to speak ill of the dead, but...
He ruined Meet the Press. He had a formula: He knew he would have a famous guest on, and had his staff spend the week before going through old video or print statements to spring a gotcha on him or her. Not to give viewers greater understanding, but just as a cheap stunt. Or he'd try to get a politician to admit they were running for president to try to break some "news". Or he'd be a concern troll about the deficit in 30 years time, to show he was a "serious" person. Everyone knew this was his MO, so his guests always knew what to expect.

It was pathetic the way he ran that show in his last few years.

He showed he was too interested in cultivating relationships with the Bush administration and others in government in his actions and testimony in the Plame case.

But what was worse was the way NBC and many others blew him up into being some demigod of public affairs journalism. Olbermann still gets all verklempt when he talks about him. :-/

Russert could have been much more in life, but seemed to enjoy his chosen role too much. His deification was disgusting.

http://www.slate.com/id/2193689/

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New What's sad...
..and also instantly invalidates you as a sound opinion in this matter, is that you even know what Olbermann says about him. That man isn't within 3 lightyears of the news.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New He's entertaining at times, if one doesn't overdose.
New Well then..
As Scott's summary was measured, specific and.. gentler than many other obits (from people who saw him much more than I could bear-to) -- very-occasionally, when visiting.
I guess that invalidates your invalidation, too.

(I thought him shallow, randily opportunistic for those mere gotchas (as expressed accurately above) thus an Idol well suited to Murican-style Mediocrity-in-all-things. Shout-radio, but down a few dB.
Cronkite by comparison was a mensch; far from infallible, at least he was never/rarely trivial, nor a sycophant.

And yes, my standards Are higher than those of you late-comers to the Post-McCarthy days of shame (when Murican character was Naked before the rest of the world via our actually televised Witch Hunts.)
I saw Murrow live; Harvest of Shame re the beastly plight of farm labor, as well as the stake-in-heart denouement for Tailgunner Joe.
Electric! like nothing we shall again see out of the mouths of the blow-dried heads.

None of the above could even be 'compared'.

cf. Philip K. Dick's short story about News Clowns: qed
(link IIRC - in the missing IWE dbase, somewhere)
New Re: Wich hunts
Last night I watched my latest arrival from Netflix, the first season of Michael Moore's "The Awful Truth". During the Clinton impeachment, he decided if we're going to do a witch hunt, then let's do it right. He got a group of Puritans ... black outfits with white collars, one preacher and a half-dozen young women ... going around DC accusing people of fornication. By the end of the day he had a whole mob of people following his group down the street chanting, "Repent! Repent!" Wonderful theater.

There were several other great segments, like when he loaded up the Sodomobile with queers to go visit every state that still has sodomy laws on the books to violate those laws in the pink RV. They started with a visit to Reverend Phelps. That man is so clearly evil, it's amazing horns don't sprout from his head.
--

Drew
New Lewis Lapham speaks ill for you
“Tim Russert was a spokesman for power, wealth, and privilege. That’s why 1,000 people came to his memorial service. Because essentially he was a shill for the government."
http://nymag.com/new...elligencer/48333/

cordially,
New I'm kicking myself for piling on, but...
I can't help it. :-(

I remembered this morning: Russert absolutely loved James Carville and his wife Mary Matalin. He would often have them on together. They may have been fine political operatives and good at helping people get elected, but who in their right mind in America outside the political establishment in DC would give a fig about what they thought about anything?!?!

He is a big reason why political discourse on TV is so very bad these days. They don't talk about policy, they talk about the game.

Public affairs is, or should be, different from the DC political games. Russert thought that political games were all that mattered. Unfortunately, he taught his colleagues that syllabus all too well. C.f. Todd and Greenwald.

Cheers,
Scott.
New You might not like the game
or even like the fact that its played...but if you don't understand it then you haven't a chance in hell of making it change.

Russert knew the game...and had people on that understood it and could talk about it. You might think Carville and Matalin (married) might only be great theater...but they are inside the insiders. If its happening, they know about it.

And blaming Tim for what is wrong with news today and ignoring the likes of Olbermann, Blitzer, and Matthews is just a little off base (like outside the park in the parking lot off base)
New Helping make JC and MM rich doesn't enlighten.
Would Lawrence Spivak have had them on Meet the Press regularly? I doubt it. http://www.nytimes.c...et-the-press.html

Known for his terrier-like tenacity as an interviewer and what seemed to be a muted but waspish personality, Mr. Spivak always said he saw himself as nothing more than a devil's advocate.

His style and that of the journalists who regularly appeared on his program stand in sharp contrast to a later generation of television pundits who sometimes used their broadcasting time to express their own opinions.

Mr. Spivak's directness in asking questions may have paved the way for the later approach, but he was always in control of himself, much as a prosecuting attorney might be. Thus, the guests on his program were most respectful of the questions he asked.

In 1960, for example, when John F. Kennedy, then a Massachusetts Senator seeking the Democratic Presidential nomination, appeared on "Meet the Press," he said, "I suppose, Mr. Spivak, that you have a long list of challenging questions for me."

Mr. Spivak replied, "Knowing my high regard for you, Senator, I don't think you'd want me to pull my punches."

"No," Kennedy responded, "but I wouldn't mind if you lowered your regard a bit."

[...]

Through the years, the guest list of "Meet the Press" was largely a Who's Who of the world's movers and shakers: Sister Kenny, Adm. Hyman G. Rickover, Eleanor Roosevelt, Prime Minister Jawaharal Nehru of India, King Hussein of Jordan, Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia, John L. Lewis of the United Mine Workers, Senator Hubert H. Humphrey, Ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge, Richard M. Nixon, Jimmy Carter, President Fidel Castro of Cuba, Chancellor Konrad Adenauer of West Germany, John Foster Dulles, Senator Everett McKinley Dirksen and others of equal luster.

"Television has an awesome facility for showing up sincerity as well as insincerity," Mr. Spivak said. "So if a man is honest and knows his stuff, he'll emerge with his proper stature. By the same token, so will a phony."

Yeah, Carville and Matalin are in that league. Sure....

And before you bring up Olbermann again, he's not running MTP. And my opinion is that if he were, he would treat it with the seriousness it deserves - much more than pomposity of Russert or Gregory. Countdown is a political gossip show - "Which of these stories will you be talking about tomorrow?"

Cheers,
Scott.
New Seems you have more regard for O than R
so there really isn't much point to continuing....your opinion is your own.
     The Cronk has conked out - (rcareaga) - (14)
         We were a Huntley-Brinkley family. - (Another Scott) - (11)
             I was sufficiently out of the loop... - (rcareaga) - (10)
                 Not to speak ill of the dead, but... - (Another Scott) - (9)
                     What's sad... - (beepster) - (3)
                         He's entertaining at times, if one doesn't overdose. -NT - (Another Scott)
                         Well then.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                             Re: Wich hunts - (drook)
                     Lewis Lapham speaks ill for you - (rcareaga) - (4)
                         I'm kicking myself for piling on, but... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             You might not like the game - (beepster) - (2)
                                 Helping make JC and MM rich doesn't enlighten. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     Seems you have more regard for O than R - (beepster)
         Greenwald takes on the whole newsfotainment Establishment - (Ashton)
         Reminded me of Fear and Loathing - (crazy)

C:>_
69 ms