IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Who decided RandR was ready for prime time?
I'll tell you: some who would wank themselves silly over getting rid of Xinerama! :-(

I am *NOT* impressed.

After experimenting with multi-head X a few years ago, I discovered I did not like the Xinerama approach. To my way of working, it jarred with virtual desktops: change one and all the screens change. Urk. Then I found out how to setup multiple screens. Ah... Each screen was quite separate. Virtual desktops worked independantly. Apps - and window managers - didn't get confused with "middle borders" (rarer nowadays).

And then RandR came along :-(. This was supposed to not only supplant Xinerama's way of stitching things together but also hot-plugging monitors and changing resolutions on the fly. It generally works, I might add. Unfortuantely, where it falls down is multiple screens. RandR is designed from the viewpoint of everything-is-one-virtual-screen. Eugh.

Or should I say: fuck.

Whether or not I want to use a fucking flat virtual screen (point of fact: I actually don't), I do want the fucking choice to have separate fucking screens!!

Bug filed. Unfortunately, I think if I want to make this happen I am going to have to get noisy. And I have enough going on in my life without *that* shit-fight.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Good thing you don't Use OSX...
Its also a "one screen" type of thing, ONLY.

Yes, I know there are a few things out there than can make them two screens... but fer chrissake.

Okies everyone, let all start writing a NEW thingamabob and call it AntiRandR.
New huh?
I spent months circa 1996 trying to get one flat screen across multiple monitors and OSX does it effortlessly so you dis it?
New I am dissing it, because...
You should have the choice of 1 or multiple... especially if the monitors have different resolutions.

Like my Dell Mini9 (1024x600) and my SyncMaster 216BW (1680x1050).

Very disparate screens and tough to make them feel right. only way I could get it possibly look right... Dell Mini9 normal, Syncmaster rotated 90 degrees. but it wouldn't do that for long before it reverted automagically.

Yeah, I know.
New s/get noisy/do it yourself/
New I don't really have the time to do that.
Although it would be most interesting, I'm sure.

I did find a comment in my research that suggested some window managers operate independant virtual desktops, which might be a route to follow...

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     Who decided RandR was ready for prime time? - (static) - (5)
         Good thing you don't Use OSX... - (folkert) - (2)
             huh? - (boxley) - (1)
                 I am dissing it, because... - (folkert)
         s/get noisy/do it yourself/ -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
             I don't really have the time to do that. - (static)

Whoze Kewl, whoze tepid and whoze nonexistent.
59 ms