IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sullivan on Ms. P and the Republican party.
http://www.timesonli...rticle6688848.ece

And this helps explain the broader problem with American conservatism right now. It is less a movement than an industry. From Fox News to talk radio to conservative publishing houses, it has created an alternate and lucrative media reality that is worth a fortune to those able to exploit it. Alas, these alternative media thrive on paranoia, hatred of liberal elites and growing extremist rhetoric made worse by a hermetically sealed echo chamber of true believers. Anyone criticised by the left or even by the establishment right is a martyr in this world. In America, martyrdom sells. And Palin is a product worth lots of money.

She wants some of it; and she has no actual interest in governing America (even though she’d love the title of president). She referred to giving up her “title” as governor, not her “office”. In this, she is the ultimate Republican of this degenerate moment: all culture war, no policy; all identity politics, no engagement with practical answers to difficult public problems; and all hysterical opposition to Barack Obama, no actual alternatives offered.

Bingo.

Cheers,
Scott.
New wow spot on
it has created an alternate and lucrative media reality that is worth a fortune to those able to exploit it. Alas, these alternative media thrive on paranoia, hatred of conservatives and growing extremist rhetoric made worse by a hermetically sealed echo chamber of true believers
hufpo salon andrew sullivan "its really her grandaughter!!!" etc :-)
New Don't bother with balance man
Since the left can't make talk radio work, it simply means that is all a Republican problem. Its that vast right wing conspiracy. The left has no media outlet, doncha know.

I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New Yeah, Sullivan went overboard early on.
He backtracked on it being her grandson. http://andrewsulliva...-looks-pregn.html

However, he's right that there are a lot of elements of the various stories she's told that don't make sense and that she hasn't cleared up.

http://andrewsulliva...in-a-roundup.html

She may have good reasons for not being clearer about the things she has said, but being a public figure she should expect to be asked.

FWIW.

[edit:] granddaughter -> grandson Shows how closely I've been following this stuff, huh. ;-)
Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott July 13, 2009, 11:58:42 AM EDT
New Why do I care?
Answer, I don't.

Why does he care?

Answer, it makes him money.

Does anybody REALLY think this woman has a political future?

Give it a rest already.
New Then don't read him. ;-)
New Avoiding the coverage
is slightly this side of impossible. If it were only him, it would be easy.
New Yes, really
"Does anybody REALLY think this woman has a political future?"

Yes: http://www.latimes.c...3,0,3913909.story

Consider a USA Today/Gallup poll released last week. About 7 in 10 Republicans said they would be likely to vote for Palin if she ran for president. Other surveys place Palin in a statistical dead heat with Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee ... Although any presidential poll taken this far out has to be taken with a sea's worth of salt, that is not the reason so many Republican strategists and party insiders dismiss Palin ... "Professional operatives keep their eye on a broader horizon and understand, without independents and swing voters, she can't win," Murphy said. "She's a stone-cold loser in a general election."

She could easily play spoiler, a Republican version of Ralph Nader. She doesn't have to believe she can win a general election, to believe that her notoriety can force the Republican party to "consider her issues" in writing their platform.
--

Drew
New Riiight
The quote says she can't win. The insiders KNOW she can't win. Polls are garbage...since they don't even consider options. "would you vote for her if she ran for pres". Only 70% of her own party would given no other option. Thats not actually a good stat.

She has no power but that which is being given to her by the left who insist on keeping her in the spotlight. It is in their hands to make this go away.
New You did see who I compared her to, right?
No "insiders" though Nader had a chance. He said himself that he stayed in the race to make sure his issues were part of the discussion. You don't have to win to have a future in politics. Nader should have proven that.
--

Drew
New I don't think so
because I don't think his issues were ever truly addressed by others. He made himself a nuisance, but I don't think policy was developed/modified because he was there.
New the Republican party?
Roger Ailes (the other one) thinks she's aiming even lower than that:
With Sharia Plain's recent bipartisan-curious bashing of the Republican Party, the only conclusion is that Sharia is planning to install herself as the leader of the Teabagging Movement. The plot is synergy at its finest. Palin and 'Baggers share the same delusions about the federal gub'mint, the same hatred of (their fantasy version) of the EMESSEM, the same contempt for literacy and science and truth, and the same vision of their own accomplishments and virtues which is entirely at odds with reality.

If Sharia becomes the Strom Thurmond slash George Wallace slash Ross Perot of the teabag crowd, her coronation will mark the death of the Republican Party, as a madhouse divided against itself cannot stand. But let's not give credit where credit isn't due -- George W. Bush is the man who killed the G.O.P., with the assistance of Dead-Eye Dick; Palin is simply firing a few rounds into the corpse for the amusement of the crowd.
http://rogerailes.bl...57585833547336044

cordially,
New she might turn into a dixiecrat
regain the south for the dems, of course losing the party everywhere else, and you thought she was stupid :-)
New 70s redux
party is dead. Democrats forever.

Clint Eastwood for President! (reagan's dead after all)
New If I can have Dirty Harry as Pres... sure!
Do you feel lucky?
     Sullivan on Ms. P and the Republican party. - (Another Scott) - (14)
         wow spot on - (boxley) - (9)
             Don't bother with balance man - (beepster)
             Yeah, Sullivan went overboard early on. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                 Why do I care? - (beepster) - (6)
                     Then don't read him. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Avoiding the coverage - (beepster)
                     Yes, really - (drook) - (3)
                         Riiight - (beepster) - (2)
                             You did see who I compared her to, right? - (drook) - (1)
                                 I don't think so - (beepster)
         the Republican party? - (rcareaga) - (3)
             she might turn into a dixiecrat - (boxley)
             70s redux - (beepster) - (1)
                 If I can have Dirty Harry as Pres... sure! - (folkert)

No! Try not! Do or do not, there is no try.
107 ms