IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Help! I'm being held prisoner...
by my HMO.

Developed odd symptom while away on holiday weekend. Got back last night, called "advice nurse" this morning. Nurse says to come in at 3:00 PM. Doctor sees me, says...

oh hell, busted.
New hey could be worse, I got a letter from the insco today
due to a breakdown in contracts after aug 31 we will not honor bigass hospital system charges. This includes urgent care systems. docs, tests, radiology
so thats the ONLY kind of provider within a 25 mile radius. It appears my choices are now grady and emory 32 miles away, urgent care and docs 20 miles away
feh, let obama fuckem
New where was I?
(typing 1-handed now; tied up to IV; will narrate e.e. cummings style). doc says he wants to talk to someone, returns 15 minutes later, wants me to go to emergency room. now i'm in a curtained enclosure, in one of those stupid assless gowns, waiting on the gears of the healthcare bureaucracy to grind. emergency room doc says "could be just an infection," but wants to consult with surgeons. everyone is being mightily uninformative as to why i've been deemed ER material. "could be nothing" is the typical response. "well, what might it be if it were something?" "oh, you'll have to speak to the doctors about that." doctors are of course noncommittal. rinse and repeat. meanwhile, i'm trapped here all-but incommunicado, this surreptitious laptop w/ its dwindling battery my only lifeline to an outside world i'm starting to forget...

grumpily,
New I hope it's nothing!
In your initial message, I thought you were going to tell us that the Doc said he could find nothing wrong, but you would have your excuse for work for missing the day after your vacation. :-) I'm sorry it wasn't such a humorous story. :-(

Fingers crossed! Hang in there!

Cheers,
Scott.
New yasus, hope its just dehydration :-(
New two-fisted typing from work
I used to have a magazine cartoon affixed to my fridge. It depicted two simply drawn figures and two black dots. One figure, pointing, says to the other: "It's very important that you keep these two buttons straight: the one on the left fires five hundred intercontinental ballistic missiles at the Soviet Union, and the one on the right lights up the Christmas tree on the White House lawn."

Just so my recent imprisonment in the ER. Some minor symptoms that surfaced over the weekend moved me to call the "advice nurse" yesterday morning, and she in turn told me to come in for a consultation at 3:00 pm. The doctor saw me on time, for a wonder, poked and prodded a bit and said "Hold on. I want to talk to someone," returned after fifteen minutes and said he wanted me to check into the ER "just to be on the safe side." And so my saga began. I'll spare you the blow-by-blow. Late last night a couple of nice surgeons came down and explained that my discomfort derived from a trifling condition that could either be resolved by opening me up, which they offered to do that very night, or by waiting and monitoring the situation, in which case there's a better-than even chance it will clear itself up over the next few weeks. The reason for all the hoo-hah was that I had manifested upon initial examination some signs of a rare-ish variation on the condition that has been known to trigger a sequence of necrosis, gangrene, organ failure, septic shock, and death over the course of half a day.

Since I'd won the toss, I elected not to undergo the discretionary surgery on the grounds that absent a compelling contrary reason, one should seize every opportunity not to have one's flesh rent by a sharp blade. I've always been your "ignore the symptom and it will go away" kinda guy, and I'm happy to have this philosophy borne out and even tacitly endorsed for once. There's an off-chance (diminishing with time) that the Bad Variant could develop, but I am assured that in that event the symptoms will be impossible to overlook, and that I will not be even remotely tempted to stoicism ("More like 'begging for death,' huh?" I asked. "Something like that" said the older surgeon).

I'm certainly glad to have had my trusty Mac laptop with its magic "MiFi" card with me while I was being held otherwise incommunicado. I was able to get word out via email to a friend to call my spouse, who was becoming concerned when I had not returned from work or called after three hours. As Michael Gambon's character in The Singing Detective laments, "Why is it when you lose your health the entire medical profession takes it as axiomatic you've also lost your mind?"

cordially,

New Great news. Hang in there!
New I was beginning to wonder if I had lost...
one of my best-est sparring buds...

At least that ain't gonna happen, at least not yet anyway!

Glad you got the better side of that flip.
New cant they crushem with sound waves?
Im with you, no point in piercing the gut sack unnecessarily, thats how one gets gangrene and peritonitis in the first place
New actually, no
In my case it's not a buildup, but a breakdown, a structural failure that's allowing adjacent precincts that have formerly conducted business via Swiss-based "special interest" offices with rigorous trade and passport controls in place to experiment with open borders. I really ought to have gone with the extended warranty package, but I frankly couldn't afford it back in 1952.

cordially,
New Very glad to hear it!
They said I was gullible ... and I believed them
New Glad to hear you are OK
New How very much morebetter that you were busted..
and not Busted. What an icky time-frame within which to be the Decider!

(I have another version of that White House lawn scenario in my collection.)

Doubtless you shall be paying rapt attention to the merest hemidemisemiquiver; far better to be thought a hypochondriac than ... to not-open mouth and prove (something else.)
I deem that this merits a candle lighting ... and that mantle has been getting a workout of late, though for some lifeforms with more fur.
Something appears amiss within the fabric of Zodiacal confluences just now, and there's no meta-Net for inquiries.

take Care,

Ashton

Help! I'm being held prisoner... - (rcareaga) - (12)
         hey could be worse, I got a letter from the insco today - (boxley)
         where was I? - (rcareaga) - (2)
             I hope it's nothing! - (Another Scott)
             yasus, hope its just dehydration :-( -NT - (boxley)
         two-fisted typing from work - (rcareaga) - (6)
             Great news. Hang in there! -NT - (Another Scott)
             I was beginning to wonder if I had lost... - (folkert)
             cant they crushem with sound waves? - (boxley) - (1)
                 actually, no - (rcareaga)
             Very glad to hear it! -NT - (Meerkat)
             Glad to hear you are OK -NT - (mhuber)
         How very much morebetter that you were busted.. - (Ashton)

The thing about the explosive diarrhea excuse is you can really only use it once.
365 ms