IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New To be honest... use IMAP anyway.
Its light enough and you can configure it to only get headers unless you want full offline capacity.

I use IMAP for everything and no longer use a local machine for aggregation and quick access.

Only time it gets a little hairy is the sheer volumes of e-mail I have for Work...

many multiple folders with 80K plus messages in them.

Using Google Hosted e-mail and only using IMAPS with them.

Other wise, I use Courier IMAP for my personal stuff.

I never have to worry about what or where, I can just use an IMAP capable mail browser and voila... I have mail. From Mutt to Balsa, to Evolution, to Mail.app. IMAP is the chosen way to manage mail effectively and easily.

In fact the only gripe I have is contacts, i wish i could get evolution to store contacts in a folder as well as locally.
New what he said
New Thanks.
I've never used IMAP much, other than Gmail. My ISP's web interface is pretty limited, and I have always liked the idea of getting mail off his server every day if possible.

I'll check around some more. Thanks to you both.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Here is an idea...
Have Google mail grab it off his server.

Google's stuff can go and get everything and re-process it... just like its incoming if you want.

That way its *ALL* available in Google Mail.
New Tempting, but...
It's nice having an e-mail account with a tiny ISP that isn't mining my e-mails for targeted ads. I mainly use Gmail for mailing lists. If I direct everything to Gmail anyway, there's little sense in me continuing to pay $19 a month to keep my account with my small ISP (since I don't use his dial-up service any more).

I'll do some more reading and cogitating.... Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Is it *REALLY* that important...
to have ultimate privacy?

Remember, unless e-mail messages are encrypted with GPG/PGP/WTFever its plain text and readable.

Considering the petabytes of e-mail Google has to "index" is *YOURS* that important?

These cries of privacy invasion... ok, tell me the last time you had a secure conversation on the internet via forums or the like?

How much of your mail is spam? How much of you e-mail is truly highly private? Are you *THAT* important? Come on, you use a cell phone and don;t complain that you can be triangulated at any time, or eavesdropped on or the fact that all of your internet traffic is probably being scanned in one way or another for various purposes or what about the ISP you are using doing traffic shaping because you use too much of a specific kind of traffic...

There are FAR FAR FAR worse invasion of privacy things that you have just accepted and let happen without care (maybe not without care, but what you don't know *CAN and DOES* hurt you)... But I guess bike-shedding is your style on this type of thing.

Give me a break.
New Hit a nerve, did I?
You may have me confused with someone else. :-)

You make good points, and I'm aware of those things. I'm not a privacy nut - I don't worry about cookies, for example (though I do use SBS&D to clean out things occasionally on my Winders machines).

I get around 300 pieces of e-mail a day, about 99% of it is spam. (I know you get a lot more.) My ISP doesn't filter anything, AFAIK.

I just need to do some more thinking before I do anything irreversible, like give up an e-mail address that I've had for about 17 years.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Heh. He said "bike-shedding". ;-)
New my email at netscape is the same way
Ive had it forever, people can still find me that way
all mail is shared between sytems is clear text unless you encrypt it before you send it.
if you want to aggregate it any imap client is fine
New you dont want to use a viral contact list like plaxo?
New Feh! Plaxo-what?
I barely want to use Linked-In anymore.

I swear, Linked-In is a recruiter's paradise.

Regularly I've gotten serious offers, some for far off lands, that I actually entertained for a bit until I realized, I do not want to be in a Foreign Land in these days.

Money offer was GREAT ($175K/year plus full living/moving/entertainment expenses for me and the family), but being alive to spend it is kind of important.
     Setting up a Maildrop on Ubuntu or Debian. - (Another Scott) - (12)
         To be honest... use IMAP anyway. - (folkert) - (9)
             what he said -NT - (boxley)
             Thanks. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Here is an idea... - (folkert) - (4)
                     Tempting, but... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         Is it *REALLY* that important... - (folkert) - (2)
                             Hit a nerve, did I? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 my email at netscape is the same way - (boxley)
             you dont want to use a viral contact list like plaxo? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 Feh! Plaxo-what? - (folkert)
         I'll second the IMAP angle. - (static) - (1)
             Thirded. - (pwhysall)

I don't think these were sliced from anything.
119 ms