IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I don't think so
High oil prices certainly didn't help the economy at the end of the bubble, and they may even have been the straw the broke the camels back. But they are not the cause of the current economic disaster.

This disaster is almost entirely finance related, not manufacturing related. The collapse of the finance markets cut of the credit that people where expecting, leading to a massive decline in buying. And that lead to the shrinking of manufacturing, not rising oil prices and inflation.

If we where in an oil shock there would be a serious problem controlling inflation, because manufacturers would have to be raising prices to get ahead of production costs and trying to stay ahead of inflation. But inflation has been negligible for some time.

Essentially, as long as the finance bubble was expanding faster then the oil prices where going up, the rise in oil prices had only a limited direct effect on the economy.

I'll agree though that they could cripple any recover, particularly if oil prices go back into the triple digits.

Jay
New But the finance bubble was built on the housing bubble
Which was built on suburban expansion.

Which was enabled by cheap oil. (For the construction, and so that people were comfortable living farther and farther from where they work.)

So it's not that expensive oil popped the bubble. It's that cheap oil inflated it. Once a bubble is big enough, any number of triggers could be enough to pop it.
--

Drew
New you buy asswipe lately?
from $4.99 to $8.99 is friggin huge, many other items have gone up as high, but because oil went from 140-68 it shows a decline in the consumer price index
inflation is here and building
New You need to look closer
at things like package size (8oz yogurt is now 6oz at same price, 16oz coffee bags are now 12 at same price or higher).

The general index paints too nice a picture.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
     First, there was expensive oil - (Another Scott) - (6)
         Looks like someone gets it. -NT - (beepster)
         So when I was saying it, you disagreed, fine be that way :-) -NT - (boxley)
         I don't think so - (jay) - (3)
             But the finance bubble was built on the housing bubble - (drook)
             you buy asswipe lately? - (boxley)
             You need to look closer - (beepster)

One. Two. Three. Ah, ha ha ha ha ha!
39 ms