IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New One to AVOID...
"Graphic Java : Mastering the JFC (3rd ed)" by David M. Geary. Published by Sun Microsystems Press.

Avoid at all costs; it sucks.

I would recommend Java in a Nutshell, but you already have it.

I also have another book to recommend, but it's sitting at home on my kitchen table ATM, as I forgot to bring it in this morning. I'll let ya know tonight or tomorrow.
-YendorMike

In order to understand recursion, one must understand recursion.
New ...And a good one...
For Swing development, run, don't walk, to [link|http://www.bookpool.com/|Bookpool.com] and get thee "Java Swing" by Eckstein, Loy, and Wood. It's an O'Reilly book, but it's not a "manimal" -- it's got an old 10¢ jukebox on the cover.

Very good for learning/referencing Swing programming. Well laid-out. Excellent examples. And screenshots all over the place, with the example code on how to create said screenshot right nearby.

One of the best coding books I own.
-YendorMike

In order to understand recursion, one must understand recursion.
New I thought it ok...
...but not fantastic. If you are seriously into Swing, then I think the Swing book is a necessity, but I found it tedious at times (though the same can be said about Swing in general).

The thing that's hard about swing is that it amounts to amassing knowledge over a vast library. Swing is a pretty huge set of API's and getting acquanted with the library is a lot of work.
     I need suggestions for Java books - (bbronson) - (6)
         Sure... - (Fearless Freep)
         One to AVOID... - (Yendor) - (2)
             ...And a good one... - (Yendor) - (1)
                 I thought it ok... - (ChrisR)
         For web-centric Java development... - (jlalexander)
         Re: I need suggestions for Java books - (wharris2)

It's like an ee cummings poem written using only the usernames a website suggests when the one you want is taken.
38 ms