IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Lucky you...
http://www.expatica....rkers-_52470.html

At least only your call came from India. Or is there a chance you missed the unintelligible fine print that gets rattled off at the end?
New well, why didnt they take the 1k euros
plane ticket and go on a vacation before looking for work elsewhere at home. Its obvious the jobs are gone.
Around here you are lucky to get your last paycheck when let go
New No different than what IBM recently did

Big Blue wants to help redundant U.S. employees relocate to developing markets, according to an internal document.

By Paul McDougall
InformationWeek

February 2, 2009 12:36 PM

The climate is warm, there's no shortage of exotic food, and the cost of living is rock bottom. That's IBM (NYSE: IBM)'s pitch to the laid-off American workers it's offering to place in India. The catch: Wages in the country are pennies-on-the-dollar compared to U.S. salaries.

Under a program called Project Match, IBM will help workers laid off from domestic sites obtain travel and visa assistance for countries in which Big Blue has openings. Mostly that's developing markets like India, China, and Brazil.
"IBM has established Project Match to help you locate potential job opportunities in growth markets where your skills are in demand," IBM says in an internal notice on the initiative. "Should you accept a position in one of these countries, IBM offers financial assistance to offset moving costs, provides immigration support, such as visa assistance, and other support to help ease the transition of an international move."

The document states that the program is limited to "satisfactory performers who have been notified of separation from IBM U.S. or Canada and are willing to work on local terms and conditions." The latter indicates that workers will be paid according to prevailing norms in the countries to which they relocate. In many cases, that could be substantially less than what they earned in North America.

IBM has laid off more than 4,000 workers in the United States since the beginning of January, according to an employee group. The company has confirmed layoffs but won't comment on specific numbers.

A spokesman for Alliance@IBM, a workers' group that's affiliated with the Communications Workers of America but which does not have official union status at IBM, slammed the program. "IBM is not only offshoring IBM U.S. jobs but they want employees to offshore themselves through Project Match," said the spokesman.

An IBM spokesman said the program shouldn't be seen in that light. "It's more of a vehicle for people who want to expand their life experience by working somewhere else," said the spokesman. "A lot of people want to work in India."

In addition to India, China, and Brazil, IBM is offering to relocate redundant U.S. workers to a number of other developing markets, including Mexico, the Czech Republic, Russia, South Africa, Nigeria, and the United Arab Emirates, according to the notice, which was obtained Monday by InformationWeek.

source: http://www.informati...ticleID=213000389

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Well, the I == International.
While working for IBM, I've worked with Germans, Dutch, Indians, Japanese, French, and Brits. Most were on temporary assignments to US.
Alex
New Why.. why, I think the Suits have just invented
Reverse Colonialism (but exploitation is just Good Bizness -- so I guess that's pretty old while Brand New.)

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
-- H.L. Mencken

But here's a hobgoblin that isn't imaginary!
New not really, ggogle east india company
     hope this isnt a trend that catches on - (boxley) - (7)
         It already has - (lincoln) - (6)
             Lucky you... - (scoenye) - (5)
                 well, why didnt they take the 1k euros - (boxley)
                 No different than what IBM recently did - (lincoln) - (3)
                     Well, the I == International. - (a6l6e6x)
                     Why.. why, I think the Suits have just invented - (Ashton) - (1)
                         not really, ggogle east india company -NT - (boxley)

It is known desire. They are totally delicious!
90 ms