IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So?
Things that happen daily in US jails and prisons thru out america today would be considered torture by any reasonable person yet it appears to be perfectly acceptable to the general public.
Leaving aside the question of whether inmate-on-inmate crimes that are widely suspected and maybe poorly policed are morally equivalent to state sanctioned violations of the Constitution and the Geneva Conventions ... are you suggesting that because there is no widespread outrage over prison activities that there shouldn't be any outrage over torture by the military or the intelligence community?

But you'll just say your point was about the definition of torture. Let's see, we could go with the definition we used for torture when we executed people for doing it to our soldiers. No, can't do that, because that's what we've been doing to people.

Okay, let's go with what the Geneva Conventions ... oops, no, "any reasonable person" would say we've done that. How about "cruel and unusual"? Damn, yup, definitely doing that.

Well, forget definitions. How about we say that anyone who is proud of what they did, and confident that it was legal and necessary, will obviously stand up and defend why they did it? If someone is afraid to say what they did it makes it look like they knew it was wrong. Well damn, it looks like they fail on that count, too.

The point here (Remember, we're talking about Rand's question whether the people who did the torture are in the clear because someone told them it was legal) is that there are lots of things that I wouldn't do, even if someone told me they were legal. Because I know that those things are wrong.

Torture isn't wrong because it's illegal. It's illegal because it's wrong.
--

Drew
New talking about staff on inmate abuse (edit link)
http://www.november....old/22/22025.html
Routinely, guards would drop handcuffed inmates face-first on concrete floors, and would then kick them repeatedly in the ribs, kidneys and testicles. Flaming papers were thrown into cells as a pretext for spraying men with fire extinguishers. Meals were served with feces and urine in the food trays. Faces were smashed into concrete walls. Handcuffs were clamped so tight that wrists and ankles were left lacerated and bruised. Leg shackles cut flesh to the bone when men were forced to run, and when they fell to the ground, they would be kicked, hit and slammed more. These horror stories were documented by the ACLU and others, and are particularly credible as the accounts were told by 23 prisoners who were unable to compare notes with each other in the isolation of the infamous Special Housing Unit known as the SHU.

who do you think were partying at abu ghraib? Professional corrections officials. stuff that is done to inmates by officers on a daily basis across this nation is often much worse than described in the memos and the public shrugs. I like your one point
How about we say that anyone who is proud of what they did, and confident that it was legal and necessary, will obviously stand up and defend why they did it? If someone is afraid to say what they did it makes it look like they knew it was wrong.
is probably the best definition
thanx,
bill
Expand Edited by boxley April 30, 2009, 11:15:39 AM EDT
     buchanan gets it once in a while - (boxley) - (12)
         Re: buchanan gets it once in a while - (jay)
         Oh, now I get it - (drook) - (9)
             More than that. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                 maybe we didnt read the same opinion piece :-) - (boxley) - (7)
                     I don't think we did - (drook)
                     It is a bad idea to torture "in general" - (rcareaga) - (5)
                         is your assertion confined to human toddlers? -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                             move to strike as nonresponsive - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                 I was thinking of new zealand sheep shaggers actually - (boxley) - (2)
                                     So? - (drook) - (1)
                                         talking about staff on inmate abuse (edit link) - (boxley)
         So did W. - (Another Scott)

My other car isn't worth talking about.
76 ms