IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The three-part (? IIRC) TV mini-series?
As always, if you saw that before reading the books, there's a risk you got hold of the wrong end of the stick, so to speak... I saw it, umm, a few months ago, and (again, as always) it didn't look very much like how I had "seen" it in my imagination. But -- surprise! -- I really *liked* how it looked anyway!

Hmm... Is this "the exception that proves the rule"? Or could it be a more general "exception", that the rule isn't that hard-and-fast if it's been a couple decades since you built it in your imagination? I dunno which...

But anyway, this reminds me: Don't get over-entusiastic and try to foist the books on your kids, if you have any in their low or mid-teens. _Gormenghast_ was pretty heavy fare even for a voracious reader like Yours Truly, at ~seventeen.

The Man Who Has Read Fucking Everything
New Two-part
Take a look at the link and see if it looks like the same production. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't show up in the U.S. until after it got raves everywhere else.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New Well then effing well...
...make it a link, you lazy-ass bastard, you![*]

Yup, that's the one, no doubt about it. I'd already forgotten that Stephen Fry was in it (or if I just missed him; I didn't get to see quite all of it) -- but Christopher Lee as his Lordship's secretary was damn inspired casting, wasn't it?

[*]: Naah, no need to start a falme-war; the other one did the trick, already.

The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything About Falme-Wars
Yes, that was (at least semi-)intentional. I know how to spell "flame" -- but do you know what a "Falme-war" is?
New Or course I know what it is
Falme is a town on Toman Head, the first town to be conquered, and held, by the invading Seanchan. It was here Rand al'Thor fought Ba'alzamon, as well as fighting of the invaders with the help of the dead heroes, called back to life by the Horn of Valere. It was also here, Rand al'Thor first proclaimed to be the Dragon Reborn.

alltheweb.com is your friend
New Xackly! And therefore, it is also...
...(because of some original typos, no doubt) the in-joke way of referring to a fLAme war on the rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan newsgroup (rasfwrj for short).

Speaking of such stuff, have you read _Steel And Snow_(IIRC), the (first part of!!! the) third part of George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series? Sheesh, is he about to slow down to a crawl just like Jordan has?!?

(Hey BTW, was that *me* you were talking about, "trying to carry on a conversation in .SIGs"? I don't do that!)

The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything, But Only Adds Little Extra Comments Down Here
New Did you notice the hidden text?
I thought to add some hidden stuff in my sig to reference your sig stuff (Yes you) but I decided not to.
Hah! made you look.

New Heh! :-) No, I missed that...
...the first time around.

Thanks for the table-colour tip. (Though that is almost *too* hidden IMO, if you see what I mean.)

The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Saw parts of it...
My wife read the book a couple of months back - pretty massive. I watched parts of it last night but I was mostly working on my computers and reading Godel, Escher, Bach. I'm recording it on VHS, so I'll probably watch it sometime later this week.

Couple of impressions. First, the sound is very distracting. Lot's of stuff going on simultaneously which makes it disorienting and hard to get a lock on the dialog.

Second, my son watched some of it and thought it to be very violent. He especially disliked the man eating owls.
     Gormenghast - (drewk) - (9)
         The three-part (? IIRC) TV mini-series? - (CRConrad) - (7)
             Two-part - (drewk) - (5)
                 Well then effing well... - (CRConrad) - (4)
                     Or course I know what it is - (drewk) - (3)
                         Xackly! And therefore, it is also... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                             Did you notice the hidden text? - (drewk) - (1)
                                 Heh! :-) No, I missed that... - (CRConrad)
             Saw parts of it... - (CrisR)
         Re: Gormenghast - (pwhysall)

Thine is a mere venal sin which may be atoned: dast not move it very far or very often, or Ever! -- to the 7-11 for a Big G{ulp..} and a Lottery ticket. This be thy penance.
90 ms