IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New On fancy machines
There was an episode of ER where a doctor returned from some time in Africa with Doctors Without Borders. He was convinced we over-tested and over-diagnosed people, and started canceling orders for MRIs where he didn't think it was necessary.

Then someone explained to him why the U.S. system wasn't like Africa. Here, we do have the big fancy equipment. It's usually not needed, but when it is there's nothing better. Thing is, it's a massive fixed cost. If you only used it the 20 times a year you really need it, you'd have to charge each of those patients $50k. So instead you use it once or twice a day and charge each patient's insurance company a few thousand. Thats how you can afford to have the machine.

No, I have no idea how to fix this. Or at least no idea that would ever make it through congress.
--

Drew
New I don't know how common it is...
but around here there are MRI machines in office parks. I assume they get enough business from the various hospitals that it helps reduce the argument that each place needs their own. That's good. But many hospitals are not-for-profit while I'm sure each of these MRI companies are for-profit. So, there are plusses and minuses, and MRIs might not be the best example any more (though I'm sure they're over-prescribed because they're available).

Hey! I could get in the business for $45k! - http://www.dotmed.co...utm_campaign=Base

;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New They're making money on full-body scans
You can go in and get a checkup and they'll point out every shadow and dot you might want to get checked out. A study of the practice a few years ago showed that the rate of complications from exploratory surgery to check out all these symptomless shadows dwarfed the rate of true positives.
--

Drew
     9 people in Austin responsible for 2700 ER trips - (jay) - (15)
         Math - (drook) - (2)
             Well, if they can put a guy on a bed . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             Bdefore reading the article - (mhuber)
         An ambulance driver chimes in on his blog... - (dmcarls) - (11)
             locally here in atlanta - (boxley)
             Interesting. Thanks. - (Another Scott)
             He has some good ideas - (jay) - (8)
                 On #5 and related issues. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                     On fancy machines - (drook) - (2)
                         I don't know how common it is... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             They're making money on full-body scans - (drook)
                     Re: On #5 and related issues. - (dmcarls) - (3)
                         Interesting. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                         Can't think of an issue more fraught with problems of Scale - (Ashton)
                         Another story on US health care costs, with links. - (Another Scott)

To Imagine, To Ponder.. perhaps occasionally, To Think.
56 ms