IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Math
That's more than 49 trips per person per year. I'm betting the top two or three of them averaged twice a week.

It's also more than $1,100 per visit. Really? I know the ER costs more than a regular office visit, but what the hell are they doing to/for these people that costs more than a grand each time?
--

Drew
New Well, if they can put a guy on a bed . . .
. . hook him up to an automatic monitor and wait for him to die at $36,000 per day (which is what happened to my brother), they can certainly claim $1,100 for a visit to ER.

Our health care system makes our financial and mortgage system look relatively sane.
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus April 2, 2009, 02:18:32 PM EDT
New Bdefore reading the article
I did the math, and thought: the worst 9 asthma cases.

A bad asthma case can send you to the ER on a pretty regular basis. A bad attack is a genuine life-threatening emergency, no matter how often it happens. Crappy clock-punching primary care physician and an HMO that makes it hard to switch or a patient with authority issues (my grandma would NEVER question to word of a doctor) and there your are, with the patient just doing as he or she is told and using the ER as it was intended.

But 8 of them were mental health issues, so now we get to blame the loonies for not making good decisions about their health care. Yeah, that makes sense...

9 people in Austin responsible for 2700 ER trips - (jay) - (15)
         Math - (drook) - (2)
             Well, if they can put a guy on a bed . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             Bdefore reading the article - (mhuber)
         An ambulance driver chimes in on his blog... - (dmcarls) - (11)
             locally here in atlanta - (boxley)
             Interesting. Thanks. - (Another Scott)
             He has some good ideas - (jay) - (8)
                 On #5 and related issues. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                     On fancy machines - (drook) - (2)
                         I don't know how common it is... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             They're making money on full-body scans - (drook)
                     Re: On #5 and related issues. - (dmcarls) - (3)
                         Interesting. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                         Can't think of an issue more fraught with problems of Scale - (Ashton)
                         Another story on US health care costs, with links. - (Another Scott)

I say, I say now Reason! Won't you put your blue jeans on?
55 ms