Will peruse the list; I fear that the Dell shall prove to be the most copacetic {sigh}. I know you do your homework +.

No, I had no illusion of seeking Dell 'help', were I to go that route. My attitude is entirely political; nor do I doubt that this offering is likely well-enough constructed. (If I had a problem under warranty, I'd realize that Ubuntu would have to be reinstalled, etc.) Maybe in the end, electronics+truth will trump a meaningless protest-vote.

Also realize that Apple can go the 'DRDOS is not M$-Certified' Win 3.11 route (silently, of course.) And it may become to their advantage to do so. Small risk that; you can chance missing security patches and/or stay off web sans a decent firewall: it will work indefinitely if it worked once. Like Win98-Lite.

And as Wade mentions, Always order at Dell from a Business name! (my friend's S.O. screwed up that ploy, etc. The base-cause of all the ill-will which ensued.)
Chameleon corp, though: speak biz and they act sanely. Be a newbie: and be insulted, your time wasted and worse. (If friend wants to go Dell anyway -- my 'politics' is irrelevant, etc.)

Tip on outboard DVD noted and appreciated. Forgot about that step..

PS OT
Now if you know any EE types out there, perhaps interested in a fine 400+ MHz Tek 7854 lab scope -?-
both analog and digital (400 MHz capture too, but not with modern sampling specs, memory, natch) --
I'd swap a mintish one for one of these swinky gadgets. With a few plug-ins.. and the programming keyboard + manual for that.

Tr = 600 pSec says it's >500 MHz BW (via 70 pSec Model 284 TD pulser.)
Cost >$12K only a decade or so past; many in frequent or daily use. Nobody makes a replacement.

Yeah, an unlikely match-up; computers + serious electronics.

oTpy: 284