IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The power of linux to hide problems
apparently the hard drive on my webserver (read old compaq laptop) fried itself.

However, the main pages of the site were apparently loaded in memory...as I tried to connect to the box to load some files and it promptly refused...and went all panicky when I tried to restart it.

My guess, given the message received locally as well as remote...it could very well have been running like this for the better part of a month.

So, if anyone is looking for my web page...its not there at the moment. Going to see about replacing it this week sometime.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New I had that happen once.
I was using my workstation for the better part of a day before I started to notice problems caused by the drive failing that morning.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New It would be great if a SMART monitor was shown by default.
That reminds me, I should see about installing one...

Cheers,
Scott.
New This was about 9, 10 years ago.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Re: It would be great if a SMART monitor was shown by defaul
smartmontools
gsmartcontrol

a few others are around too.
New Was it here that I saw the story?
Supposedly a RAID array overheated, but there was enough in memory for the server to stay up. Popped in a bootable CD, chroot to point the server at the CD, drop the RAID array, aim a fan at it, once it cools point the server back at the RAID. Never took the server down.

I wasn't sure how believable it was. I guess it's possible after all.
--

Drew
     The power of linux to hide problems - (beepster) - (5)
         I had that happen once. - (malraux) - (3)
             It would be great if a SMART monitor was shown by default. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 This was about 9, 10 years ago. -NT - (malraux)
                 Re: It would be great if a SMART monitor was shown by defaul - (folkert)
         Was it here that I saw the story? - (drook)