IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New now THIS is really weird!
(followup to the previous thread)

The form looks okay and the underlying code works fine. So now I'm trying to "tighten up" the form, move things closer to the top to lessen the white space. I've been playing around with "style="position: absolute; top: n%; left: n%" positioning for the few controls on the page, when suddenly ...

The controls no longer respond.

By which I mean that you can't click on the Back button and fire the "btnBack_Click" event, you can't click in the "txtResearch" to enter a new value to search on, and you can't click on the Search button and fire the "btnResearch_Click" event.

How in the world can moving controls around on the form make them ignore any user action? Here is the page's HTML and ASP tags in text:

[form id="SearchResults" runat="server" style="height: 565px; width: 1000px;"]
[div id="divContainer" style=" position:absolute; height:565px; width:1000px;"]
[div id="toprectangle" style="height: 10%; width: 60%; border: groove 1px black;"]
[asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" Text="Member Name Search Results" Width="47%" Font-Size="12pt" Font-Bold="true" ][/asp:Label]
[asp:Button ID="btnBack" runat="server" Style="border-style: none; z-index: 108; left: 2%; position: absolute; top: 25%; background-image: url('Images/BTN_Back.gif'); background-repeat: no-repeat; cursor: hand; background-color: transparent; bottom: 33px;"
CommandName="Submit" Height="25px" OnClick="btnBack_Click" Width="120px" TabIndex="1"/]
[/div]
[div id="divResearch" style="position: absolute; top: 12%; width: 60%; border: groove 1px black; height: 10%;"]
[asp:Label runat="server" Font-Size="10pt" ForeColor="Blue" Font-Bold="true" style="position: absolute; left: 5%; top: 17%;" ]Search:[/asp:Label]
[asp:TextBox runat="server" ID="txtResearch" Width="25%" style="position: absolute; left: 20%; top: 17%;"][/asp:TextBox]
[asp:Button runat="server" ID="btnResearch" style="position: absolute; left: 50%; top: 17%; width: 10%;" Text="Search" OnClick="btnResearch_Click" /]
[/div]
[div id="divEmpGrid" style="position: absolute; top: 30%; width: 90%;"]
[igtbl:UltraWebGrid ID="WebGrid" runat="server" Height="85%" Width="90%"
Style="z-index: 200; position: absolute; left: 2%; top: 35%; font-size: 10pt"]
[Bands]
[igtbl:UltraGridBand]
[/igtbl:UltraGridBand]
[/Bands]
[DisplayLayout BorderCollapseDefault="Separate" Name="WebGrid" RowHeightDefault="20px"
Version="4.00" ScrollBar="Auto"]
[FrameStyle Height="85%" Width="90%"][/FrameStyle]
[/DisplayLayout]
[/igtbl:UltraWebGrid]
[/div] [!-- divEmpGrid --]
[/div] [!-- divContainer --]
[/form]

Does anybody see anything that I did to cause this to occur?
"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New two ll's in label?
New Label1 = Label #1.
New Not sure, can you grab the output?
I can't see anything from that which would cause the problem. Can you grab the output HTML from when it works and when it doesn't? That would give a better idea of exactly where the difference is.

Could z-ordering be messing you up? It's possible to end up with controls behind other transparent objects, making them seem dead.

Jay
New Someone found the answer for me
It seems that having both the "div" tag to contain everything on the form and the form itself to be exactly the same size

[form id="SearchResults" runat="server" style="height: 565px; width: 1000px;"]

[div id="divContainer" style=" position:absolute; height:565px; width:1000px;"]

caused one to overlay the other. You could "look" through it, but you couldn't access anything on the form. Kinda like having a plate of glass on top. Once I removed the height and width properties from the Form statement, it worked as expected.

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
     now THIS is really weird! - (lincoln) - (4)
         two ll's in label? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             Label1 = Label #1. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Not sure, can you grab the output? - (jay)
         Someone found the answer for me - (lincoln)

Keep your friends close, but independent consultants closer.
38 ms