I don't know ASP programming, nor much about databases.

(I assume you threw the exact error message in Google and looked around to make sure that you don't have an error in your code that is different from what you think. E.g. http://codebetter.co.../06/23/65033.aspx )

From your description, it sounds to me like you can't change the logic much. If your boss only wants the freedom to change one of the search terms on your screen, then you'll have to cache the other parameters, build the query instruction, and jump into the StartSearch page at the appropriate place. Being able to jump into the right place would be difficult if the code wasn't written with this type of usage in mind.

Otherwise, if that's not what he wants, then it sounds like you have to change the logic of the StartSearch page and/or the objects you're passing around.

AIUI, mixing GUI elements with business logic is a bad idea for the reasons illustrated here. The logic is tied down, and you're working on a GUI, but your boss wants you to change the GUI in a way that requires a change in logic. Unless you can change the StartSearch page to make it compatible with the GUI he wants, I think you're going to make the code even more difficult to maintain and extend.

But, it's quite possible that I'm completely wrong, so don't take this as gospel. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.