IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Why does Debian want to uninstall Gnome?
For whatever reason, the update manager wants to uninstall gnome whenever I "mark all upgrades". Anyone else seeing this?
New What are you using? (remember this is post Lenny thaw)
Sid?
Lenny?
Etch?
Sarge?
Woody?

During these troubled times after a freeze is thawed, I never use the "update manager" unless it only wants to install or upgrade things.

If it wants to remove them... I drop to a command line and run this:

apt-get update && apt-get -u upgrade

Once that completes without error

apt-get update && apt-get -u dist-upgrade

and see what its "holding back" or "removing" or both. Thereby eliminating any problems before its too late.

Remember "upgrade" *ONLY* installs or upgrades packages, never removes them. The "dist-upgrade" or "smart upgrade" does. Breakage can occur that way.

Transitions from older versions of Gnome to Newer versions is fraught with difficulty when tracking testing or Sid

You do know Lenny was released right?

I'd also wait a 5-10 days up to 3 weeks for a dist-upgrade, unless you are willing to pick and choose what is upgraded.
New Re: What are you using? (remember this is post Lenny thaw)
I'm running sid.

I had that issue earlier, but then it went away for a bit... it's only in the last day or three that it's wanted to uninstall gnome... so I haven't been running it, because I don't particularly want gnome to go bye-bye. The upgrade vs. dist-upgrade is pretty much exactly what I needed... I'm kind of surprised that synaptic doesn't allow for that option. Hmmm... <poke poke> Ah, I see, it's in the preferences; it was set to "smart upgrade" not "default upgrade" or "always ask"... that's probably it right there.

So, that seems to be the source of confusion... thanks!
New Re: Why does Debian want to uninstall Gnome?
Is the actual GNOME packages that are being suggested for removal, or the gnome-desktop (or whatever it's called) metapackage?
New Re: Why does Debian want to uninstall Gnome?
gnome, gnome-desktop-environment, about eight or ten other packages...
     Why does Debian want to uninstall Gnome? - (jake123) - (4)
         What are you using? (remember this is post Lenny thaw) - (folkert) - (1)
             Re: What are you using? (remember this is post Lenny thaw) - (jake123)
         Re: Why does Debian want to uninstall Gnome? - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Re: Why does Debian want to uninstall Gnome? - (jake123)

Back in my day, if we needed directions we had to slaughter a goat and wiggle the intestines!
38 ms