IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Microsoft to open retail chain
http://tech.yahoo.co...oft_retail_stores
Microsoft Corp. on Thursday announced plans to open its own stores despite the economic downturn that has left many retailers struggling.

The company hired David Porter, a 25-year veteran of Wal-Mart Stores Inc., as its corporate vice president of retail stores. Porter was head of worldwide product distribution at DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. since 2007.

Porter, who is set to start work on Tuesday, is charged with improving the PC-buying experience. The company said his first task will be to set the timing, locations and design of Microsoft-branded retail stores, which will sell computers installed with Microsoft software as well as other company products.

As usual, Microsoft is copying what the other leaders are doing. If they stay true to tradition, they will do it badly at first but throw money at the problem until they work out most of the kinks.

I'm not sure how much real impact this will have. In the short term, it won't have much, if any. But Microsoft is obviously setting things up for expansion latter. Start with a handful of stores in prominent locations and get the corporate framework setup, and then expand into a real national chain when the economy recovers.

This could have an interesting effect on Microsoft. I expect that in the long run, the XBox will be the high volume item for these stores, even if that is just a side line to start with. It could end up being a big step in Microsoft moving from being a software company to being an entertainment company.

Jay
New Seeing Apple's success
and trying to copy.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New "Microsoft partner" - a competitor they haven't squashed yet
--

Drew
New How innovative! :)
Alex
New AWESOME!
They will now do what Apple did and force everyone to use ONLY MICROSOFT HARDWARE!

This is they way they will combat Linux!
New Re: Microsoft to open retail chain
so will the doors freeze up and the lights go blue???
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New '..improving the PC-buying experience' -- Easy: bare HD.
     Microsoft to open retail chain - (jay) - (6)
         Seeing Apple's success - (beepster)
         "Microsoft partner" - a competitor they haven't squashed yet -NT - (drook)
         How innovative! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         AWESOME! - (folkert)
         Re: Microsoft to open retail chain - (Bman)
         '..improving the PC-buying experience' -- Easy: bare HD. -NT - (Ashton)

Cool, that has vacuum tubes in it.
42 ms