IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That it is..
but as Greg notes..it takes mindset adjustments and still has some usability issues.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New Yeah, it's a work in progress.
It'll be nice when it's possible to turn off ads, and I haven't figured out much about customizing it yet, but it's a speedy renderer.

And it's XP and Vista only at the moment. :-(

Zooks IWT Flies on it though...

Cheers,
Scott.
New I will say
that I've taken to using it for basic update checks of this board and a few other places...it just seems like I'm getting it done faster.

For serious browser sessions its still Firefox.
New It's also not very configurable (yet).
A colleague of mine discovered you couldn't turn off Javascript support. I recognise that that might be a silly thing to complain about, of course.

I actually don't like it and don't use it. It's seems to be a bit too much "This is the way you'll see the web..."

Wade.

"Ah -- I take it the doorbell doesn't work?"
New You think you'll be able to turn off ads?
In a browser from Google? Without an external solution like Privoxy?

Any browser is fast enough these days. On my Windows install, I can't see any appreciable rendering difference between Chrome, Firefox, Opera and IE7. The speed of connection from my computer to the server is far more of an influence.

I had a protracted go with Chrome and couldn't see the attraction. To be fair, it works and it works well, but I've got a Webkit browser with a better interface - Safari (although I don't use it on Windows, because it's Just Wrong).

The UI will appeal to some, though, although they're doing that thing again, where the native OS UI gets tossed out of the Window (har de har) for no decent reason.

It'll be rubbish on OS X, too, because Google apps alway are.

Also, it installs some annoying extra Google Update stuff, IIRC. Have a look at your running processes.
Expand Edited by pwhysall Feb. 1, 2009, 03:47:59 AM EST
New Yikes!
I've got 14 Chrome tabs at the moment.

16 "chrome.exe" processes each consuming 17 - 78 MB! Yeah, a nice feature is that each tab is a separate process, but nothing's free, I guess. Yeah, there is a 2 MB "GoogleUpdate.exe" process as well - I assumed that was related to my agreeing to "send debugging information back to us" checkbox. Everyone seems to do a background update now - Adobe seems less up-front about it (but I may be misremembering).

Yeah, expecting an advertising vendor to make it easy to turn off ads is a little silly. ;-) If the API is open enough, I assume ABP will make a version for it. But I haven't looked into it.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who has FF loaded down with FlashBlock, ABP, TMP, and a few other things, and usually has 50-70 tabs open, so it's a little pokey at times.)
New Ah, fork it
It is open, you know. I remember saying when it came out, all it takes is one guy with coding skills and a real problem with advertising to come out with a "Nickelplate" fork of Chrome, but with a "disable ads" checkbox built in. Let them finish writing it first, and I bet you'll see an ad-free fork of it within a week. Think Iceweasel.
--

Drew
New Appreciable rendering differences...
Try running an entirely Javascript application, like something written using Ext JS.

Chrome is ridiculously faster than the other browsers.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New We're doing a lot of futzing around with the new spider
monkey here at work, and firefox is going to be getting a LOT faster at that stuff soon.

My boss is one of the main dudes getting the new sm on solaris... put the patches up for the jit on thursday or friday... it's remarkable how much faster things go with that thing.

my guess is that chrome already has some of that in there...

in other news, my typing is not going to be up to its usual standards in the next little while... I cut the tip off my fretting hand's ring finger while julienning some potatoes on sunday morning, and it's fucking up my touch typing, along with a lot of other shit. like guitar... no gigging for jack until april at the earliest I reckon.
New Dude, that blows
I did a thumbtip once. But that's because some dumbass put a bread knife in a sink full of soapy water.

So you can't get like a rubber cap or something to put on there? Wouldn't be up to your normal standards, but I'd think it would keep you gigging.
--

Drew
New It was a big piece
I'll be doing well to be back at it by april, I think.

I took off a slice about the diameter of a dime. Managed not to involve the nail or bone, thank ghod, but the bone was a close call... didn't miss it by much. I'm going to have to wiat for it to heal up, then I'm going to have to work up the callous (main bending finger, gonna take a while) as well as have to learn how to play with a differently shaped finger.
Expand Edited by jake123 Feb. 2, 2009, 11:37:31 AM EST
New Confused now
I'm trying to figure out how you get that injury while julienning. Left hand cupped over the top of the knife and a carrot rolled to the side?
--

Drew
New Potatoes
kind of... I was doing the second set of cuts and the potato slid under the knife, and my finger went far enough for the blade to catch the tip.
New OUCH! Sorry you had that happen!
Alex
New Thanks.
Just have to wait and see what time brings wrt how long before I can play again...
New Here's wishing you a quick and full recovery.
New C'mon man
You need to fashion yourself a Tony Iommi fingertip :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Iommi

Truthfully...sorry to hear about the finger. Hope it heals well and quickly.
New I *thought* I had heard it somewhere before
--

Drew
New hope its not your page turner
New It's the bender... most bends are done with this finger.
     Gadzooks! Google Chrome is fast! -NT - (Another Scott) - (21)
         Ehhh! - (folkert)
         That it is.. - (beepster) - (19)
             Yeah, it's a work in progress. - (Another Scott) - (18)
                 I will say - (beepster)
                 It's also not very configurable (yet). - (static)
                 You think you'll be able to turn off ads? - (pwhysall) - (15)
                     Yikes! - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Ah, fork it - (drook)
                     Appreciable rendering differences... - (malraux) - (12)
                         We're doing a lot of futzing around with the new spider - (jake123) - (11)
                             Dude, that blows - (drook) - (10)
                                 It was a big piece - (jake123) - (9)
                                     Confused now - (drook) - (1)
                                         Potatoes - (jake123)
                                     OUCH! Sorry you had that happen! -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                                         Thanks. - (jake123) - (5)
                                             Here's wishing you a quick and full recovery. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                             C'mon man - (beepster) - (1)
                                                 I *thought* I had heard it somewhere before -NT - (drook)
                                             hope its not your page turner -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 It's the bender... most bends are done with this finger. -NT - (jake123)

It'll be gradual, but faster than you expect. One day it won't be there, and the next day you'll be surprised at just how fast it still isn't.
81 ms