IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Good manual site / TV request
After registering (free, no info other than email to spam)
-----------------------------------------
Congratulations on becoming a Retrevo member!
You now have access to over 100,000 manuals.
-----------------------------------------

Looking for new TV.

Might be this:

http://shop.bjs.com/...420VVviewprod.htm

Toshiba 40" Full HD 1080p LCD HDTV
(Model 40RV52U)

So I wanted to checkout the manual.

Google led me to:
http://www.retrevo.com/

Anyway, any comment on this particular TV? Or any other on hand at BJ, Wallymart, or and other retail place? In that price / size / spec range. I need to see and purchase, not click and wait.
New wander into wally's I like my emerson
lot cheaper also
New Toshiba TVs are appealing in many respects.
I've got a 32" and a 26" CRT that I've been pretty happy with, and I was considering their 32" REGZA LCD for a while (which it seems they no longer make). Their prices are very appealing.

It's good that you want to see it yourself. If I had been more careful at looking at the 26" set, I probably wouldn't have gotten it. If the screen is a single color, the intensity varies across the screen. LCDs shouldn't have that issue, but there can be huge differences in display quality among LCDs.

I see it's out of stock at B&H, so perhaps Toshiba's closing that one out too, but it's still listed on Toshiba's web page: http://www.tacp.tosh...asp?model=40rv52u

Note that it has 10-bit electronics. I believe the REGZA sets have 12- or 14-bit electronics (though with a 10-bit panel). Some claim that these things make a difference - I dunno myself. It's also a 60 Hz screen; some claim that 120 Hz makes a difference for rapid motion - I dunno myself.

I assume you've seen the Newegg reviews:
http://www.newegg.co...m=N82E16889253161

Basically, if you like the way it looks and sounds, get it. If not, keep looking. :-)

Personally, lately I've been thinking that I'll spring for a Sony XBR6 when I finally make the jump to HDTV.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Purchased
Along with a Samsung Blue-Ray player.

Too much work to do right now, can't set it up.
It is CALLING me though.
New :-) Enjoy!
New Enjoyed
Toshiba - 40" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV
Model: 40RV525U | SKU: 9034626

http://www.bestbuy.c...&id=1218011400290

$750

Note: The same tv is the 40RV52U (I think). That extra 5 showed up in the bestbuy model. The manual seems to use them interchangeably. If anyone can find the difference, I'd like to know.

Samsung - Blu-ray High-Definition Disc Player with 1080p Output
Model: BD-P1500 | SKU: 8735327

http://www.bestbuy.c...&id=1201913483931

$250

8' HDMI cable.
$80

4 year fix/replace plan

$100 - a rarety but if the pixels go (yes I studied the guidelines) I want it replaced. 3 pixels in an inch or 5 pixels on the whole screen rate a replacement.

1st movie watched was "Seven Pounds". This was a plain DVD. Hitting the pciture size button on the TV a couple of times made it perfect. I was accidently watching in 480p at this point, but for a regular DVD I assume it didn't make a difference.

No action/explosions in this one, so I was just in it for the movie, not eye candy.

Here is the 1st review I found on the web:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0814314/

If this movie doesn't touch every sentimental nerve in your body and reach to the core of your soul, you are not human. This movie will touch your heart in places you never knew existed. Each of us has seen those movies that reach deep within and cause the light tear to seep out of corner of our eyes and we quickly wipe it away and hope no one sees us. You will indeed be seen crying on this one. You will need a box of tissues. I do not know how or what the so called self critics are seeing, but I don't think it's the same movie I just finished watching. Yes it's a little slow, but its real…. This is a human in tune with what he wants and doesn't let ANYTHING stop him from completing what he started. It's a Shakespeare tragedy in today's society. A movie you should definitely see. 9 out of 10.

I fully agree with it. Watch it with someone you love.

Note: I though this was a random action / horror flick (on name and actors alone), and was very happily surprised.

The 2nd movie was a real blue-ray, rented from across the street.

Hulk.

Took me about 20 minutes of screwing around with the "Bonus View" icon (stayed on, web search told me what to do, will be fixed on firmware update). I need to plug this thing into the net and let it apt-get (or whatever it does).

As I screwed around with the menus, I came across the 480p->1080p switch.

Click.

Sproing.

Fuck. Static on the TV.

2 device reboots later (the Blueray KNOWS when the TV is off via the HDMI cable, and turns itself off when the TV gets bounced.

Ooooo.

Pretttttyyyyy.

You won't won't like me when I'm ...... hungry.

HULK SMASH!

Ok, I'm hooked. High quality fast graphics seared into my eyeballs, driven into my brain.

I actually didn't watch the end of the movie, too tired, was asleep by 10 pm.

I think when I'm no longer sick I'll bring this TV out and put it on top of the 55 inch projecter TV. Wow. Pretty soon, a video wall.

I spent about 10 seconds thinking I'd use a PS-3 as a blueray player. Bad move (at least according to the geek there). Different mechanisms and patterns of access for games VS movies. Also, the game is a lot louder than the player. I want near silence for the low volume stuff to be heard.

Bestbuy in my area was very nice. I spent 30 seconds in BJs to get a baseline of what stuff costs. Then I went to Circuit City (hey you never know). Bailed. Crowds, prices still suck. Then to Bestbuy.

Spent 5 minutes with the game geek (he really was good), the 20 minutes waiting for Gabriel.

I was in the dark TV room, evesdropping as an middle eastern person (clueless of real culture) tried to bargain down $150 for some package deal, and Gabe simply didn't bargain, but he'll pass it through to the manager. Oh, this went back and for forth a while, with this guy saying he's going to Circuit City, blah blah blah.

I launched out of my couch (I was upsidedown, fully splayed out), congratulating him on his smart choice to go to Circuit City, told him that Gabe wasn't giving him his magical $150, and that if he was done, I'd like to talk to Gabe. Actually, that was the short version. It took me about 3 minutes to disengage the guy and send him away. He was my best buddy, since City City was such a great choice and I heartily supported him on it.

Gabe was smooothhhh. A happy tech who looked great, with perfect interpersonal skills, enough hipster to take on an apple employee, but enough darkness that you want to see deeper. Not salesy. Pushed NOTHING. Was 100% helpful, in as many areas as possible.

While we were there, we saw multiple couples queue up to wait for him, and very few people minded.

He talked me into a cheaper blueray player than what was in my hand (the one I was looking at had you pay more for backwards compat stuff I'd never care about), found the exact TV for the same price that I had already settled on elsewhere, guided me through the wires and where to not worry about breaking the bank, talked to multiple people quickly to find the answers to my questions that he couldn't handle, and helped carry stuff out.

He knew high-level and deep tech, and did not gloss over issues. On the ther hand, when I directed the conversation, he always went where I wanted, so there was no tech distractions by him.

He claims no sales commission, his job is simply to be helpful as best he can. And he was. I'll go back and ask for that guy, and I'll be willing to spend a bit more for the the experience as opposed to their competitors. I'll also send a note to them concerning him. You want to keep people like this.

I do not have cable and will not hook up an antenna in my bedroom. TV there is to be used only for specific movies or games, I don't want to end up a vegetable and it could happen.

On the other hand, I can see putting it on a movable arm/desk, an using it for a laptop computer monitor. Wow. Heaven.

The TV maunal has a GPL license blurb. I gotta find out what code the TV uses!

Ok, bottom line, very happy with what I got. A bit frustrating at moments but well worth it.
Expand Edited by crazy Jan. 18, 2009, 08:59:44 AM EST
New The 52U is older than the 525U, I think.
The only difference I can see in the published information at the Toshiba web site is in the "Print a Spec Sheet" link. The copyright dates for the data sheets are (8/08.06) and (9/08.01) for the 525U and the 52U, respectively. Presumably they've just changed the text and slapped a new date on it.

Presumably the sets are functionally identical but have a different parts list.

Based on the model numbers of Toshiba's Archived sets, I would think the sets with a trailing "5" are newer than those without.

I hope this is sufficiently confusing. ;-)

Thanks for the play-by-play. It's always nice to hear of good experiences.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Should have spent the extra money on the PS3
get blue ray and gaming and web

post edit...and if you need more HDMI cables...get them on the web. Stores REALLY rip you off...by large multiples.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
Expand Edited by beepster Jan. 18, 2009, 11:26:55 AM EST
New I'm not a gamer
But now I can tell the boy the story of how I conciously decided against buying one.

hehehe.

I just gave him my old TV and DVD player, it'll keep him happy for a bit.
     Good manual site / TV request - (crazy) - (8)
         wander into wally's I like my emerson - (boxley)
         Toshiba TVs are appealing in many respects. - (Another Scott)
         Purchased - (crazy) - (5)
             :-) Enjoy! -NT - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 Enjoyed - (crazy) - (3)
                     The 52U is older than the 525U, I think. - (Another Scott)
                     Should have spent the extra money on the PS3 - (beepster) - (1)
                         I'm not a gamer - (crazy)

Plan B, we'll retreat to the rave-cave and hope our tribal beats and epiliptic movements will cause the machines to commit suicide due to sheer irritation.
68 ms