IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Don't be cheap.
Best Buy charge $200 for Virus/Trojan/Malware scrubbing with another $100 added on if an RRR is needed, with no backing up of stuff. Backups also cost $75+ depending on time required etc...

The guy down the street(*) charges $75/hr and YOU bring it to him. He is swamped. He always gives the people a Linux LiveCD upon completion. Tells them if they have to have Internet or get a file and something happens again, pop that CD and boot from it. First call on that CD, up to 30 minutes is free.

Always leave a Linux LiveCD with the customer. I suggest you choose a Distro and get to know it.

Also the usual gamut of programs, SpyBot,AVG...etc is something you will need on a CD.

Edit:
* == Guy has a SMALL shop on the corner on a busy, but not developed intersection. Cheap rent and lotsa money coming his way. Its a good thing.
Collapse Edited by folkert Jan. 7, 2009, 10:33:34 AM EST
Don't be cheap.
Best Buy charge $200 for Virus/Trojan/Malware scrubbing with another $100 added on if an RRR is needed, with no backing up of stuff. Backups also cost $75+ depending on time required etc...

The guy down the street charges $75/hr and YOU bring it to him. He is swamped. He always gives the people a Linux LiveCD upon completion. Tells them if they have to have Internet or get a file and something happens again, pop that CD and boot from it. First call on that CD, up to 30 minutes is free.

Always leave a Linux LiveCD with the customer. I suggest you choose a Distro and get to know it.

Also the usual gamut of programs, SpyBot,AVG...etc is something you will need on a CD.
New Amen to that!
I knew a guy that did that kind of stuff a few years go that charged $60/hr. But, that was a while ago. So, $75-$80/hr seems very reasonable. Depending on the area you want to cover, you may also need to have a rate for travel time.
Alex
New Linux distro
Any suggestion as to a distro with a gentle learning curve? I've got a couple extra systems around that I could throw stuff on and play with.

On the other hand, perhaps I should stick with whatever distro is most popular as that will probably be what I end up seeing out in the field should I end up supporting Linux also.
New Ubuntu or Fedora Core
Personally, I'd use Debian, but that doesn;t work for most everyone.
New Lots of good choices these days.
A Debian-based distribution is probably the best choice, IMO.

The *ubuntus have lots of good points, but they don't install proprietary things like Flash by default. (It's relatively easy to do by selecting the appropriate repositories, https://help.ubuntu....RestrictedFormats .)

Linux Mint is an offshoot of Ubuntu which has a lot of fans: http://www.linuxmint.com/about.php It also doesn't include proprietary drivers, though.

If you don't want to have to worry about customization, then OpenSUSE and others are good choices, but they aren't Debian-based.

Puppy Linux has lots of fans, too, it's very compact. But the GUI may be a little too child-like:
http://www.puppylinux.org/home/overview

Popularity-wise, you're probably best with *ubuntu and perhaps something based on RedHat/Fedora.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New spend about $40 for RHCE study guide or cheaper used
religiously read every page. I have. I knew linux very well circa 1990-2000 it has changed that book got me up to snuff. For a overview of most issues it is very comprehensive.
thanx,
bill
New Second the Ubuntu call...
But you do have to set correct expectations, significantly "It's not actually Windows." Meaning that some actions need to be looked at with fresh thinking, not Microsoft thinking.

For those still on '95, '98 or 'ME (or even W2k), Ubuntu is actually a good upgrade, because it's different enough in very roughly the same ways as XP or Vista is. That's one reason I took my Dad from '95 to Ubuntu. If they later encounter XP or Vista, they will have an apreciation of the "Microsoft-ness" of them and all that that entails.

Wade.
     Essential toolkit? - (Silverlock) - (14)
         Dont be too cheap - (boxley)
         Don't be cheap. - (folkert) - (6)
             Amen to that! - (a6l6e6x)
             Linux distro - (Silverlock) - (4)
                 Ubuntu or Fedora Core - (folkert)
                 Lots of good choices these days. - (Another Scott)
                 spend about $40 for RHCE study guide or cheaper used - (boxley)
                 Second the Ubuntu call... - (static)
         Some more suggestions. - (Another Scott)
         You need these things on a CD - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             What do you recommend for protection? - (malraux) - (1)
                 Well, so far my clients have been doing fine . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         thanks all - (Silverlock) - (1)
             Let me add one more very essential item. - (Andrew Grygus)

No Cheesy Chatroom Shite here!
61 ms