IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New cd-r media
is there any real difference between brands and types (besides price)?

some claim to be data only, others music, others claim to be premium or professional grade (and can cost 4 or 5 times as much)

brands make all kinds of claims for their special coatings, etc.

I avoid generic brands and have lately been using Fuji after previously using Kodak (white label type, no branding(a great feature) in jewel cases) and Imation.

A
Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - Sunday 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|http://wxxe.org]
New Burner seems to matter more.
My experience, as well as a bunch of people over here at Microsoft, is that Plextor Can Do No Wrong. You can buy the cheapest, nastiest, ugliest CD, and a Plextor drive will burn something readable.

It may not be readable in all drives, but that Plextor will read it just fine.

Side note for CD recovery - Plextor drives will read crap that just about nothing else will. I have a CD with large surface scratches - won't read in my Toshiba 8x, nor my ASUS 48x, but slap it in my Plextor x8/x4/x32, and whammo, the whole thing works just fine.
New Some experiences with CD-R.
A friend of mine swore off Kodak blanks a few years ago after he discovered that the recording layer was too close to the top of the disc. It meant a simple scratch on the top would render the disc unusable.

I've also witnessed soeone harrangue a merchant at a computer fair about some wierd brand that didn't work at all. I think he said it was Pine CD-Rs.

Oh and avoid the "For Music" CD-Rs - they will always be more expensive because of a surcharge the music industry imposed. Unfortunately, they are the only types the CD Recorder decks will use, but for burners in computers, there is no point. (They have a marking in the setup area to identify them as "Music" CD-Rs.)

Myself, I normally use Verbatim or TDK blanks. I like their colour. :-)

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

cd-r media - (andread) - (2)
         Burner seems to matter more. - (inthane-chan)
         Some experiences with CD-R. - (static)

It is fine to have low opinions of people's friends when they are assholes.
42 ms