IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Happy birthday, Ashton
May you grow old in the company of friends.

a poem for a 'callow California youth'...(although you're as far from it as I can imagine)

http://www.cstone.ne...oems/hamlekoe.htm
New Indeed, happy *real* birthday.
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Ditto! I hope it was a good one, Ashton.
New Thanks all
Well, Jenny A. was called away elsewhere.. drat! Still, local felicitations involved a surprise new reheat-the-tea gadget: running at 2.4 GHz yet, with pretty blinking lights.

Thanks for finding such an evocative poem/Odyssey, and a fine wish to boot.

Indeed, as he says -- it's for the most part, a compass-free zone, those early-middle-(to late??) years.. a mirror of the koan, "the lower cannot see the higher;" yet somehow some do manage to sneak peeks.

While in my story, the original (callow) guesstimates were not nearly so idealistic and specific -- I was informed with the ignorance which knows only ~ plod along; it seems to be what this game is about, because everybody around is in similar mode (and nobody told me! that there were (n+1) Other games about which I'd heard no hint, nada, zippo.)

So while his itinerary is alien in most details, some of the little vignettes do quite fit:

... You had to start with classical mechanics and a lab;
Instead of number theory and the satisfactions
Of the private proof, a class of prodigies manquéé
Made jokes in mathematics that I didn't get.

Where the writer managed Richard Burton(!): I wangled a (students get unfilled-seats) close-up of Maurice Evans' version of that same Danish prince presented with (a pretty similar snake-pit to what Obama's about to inherit?)

I think that all the permanent-memory events, though -the precious few- were entirely through happenstance --

{just as, eerily: right-Now someone on NPR is interviewing a prof. from My institute, concerning 'the honor code' re. exams and where/how you take them. DRL would call that synchronicity; me too.}

In the end, are the words. Seems there is a kinship among folks, across all the 'fields' we have artificially named, about using Language: those who started out acquiring a recognition-vocabulary next found certain of these joined the usage-one, because the new one was more al punte, etc. A positive feedback loop, by any other name.

And in the end we also have a name for too-Much self-analysis, eh? Narcissism, curse of a certain-part of the Age (oft Armani-Suited?), I wot.

Cheers,
Ashton
     Happy birthday, Ashton! - (a6l6e6x) - (12)
         May Jenny Agutter suddenly turn up on the doorstep announced - (Meerkat)
         Ashton! Beneficent Congratulations! ... Zymurgy! - (Another Scott)
         Ho ho ho - (Ashton) - (2)
             Sleep(3*24*60*60*1000); Happy birthday! -NT - (hnick)
             Sorry, my memory isn't what it used to be. - (a6l6e6x)
         HB2U! HB2U! HBDAshton! HB2U! -NT - (mvitale)
         HBDTU you belong in a - (boxley)
         Happy Birthday! - (laura)
         Happy birthday, Ashton - (dmcarls) - (3)
             Indeed, happy *real* birthday. -NT - (mvitale) - (1)
                 Ditto! I hope it was a good one, Ashton. -NT - (Another Scott)
             Thanks all - (Ashton)

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!
78 ms