IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: GM considers sale/closing Pontiac, Saab, Saturn.
Should have never bought Saab or raised Saturn

GM Already killed Oldsmobile, Should also kill Pontiac and Buick.

Buick has had MUCH worse sales than Pontiac. Buick Dealerships were recently said to have a brisk average sales of 4 cars per dealership per month. Wow... Nice.

GM has a bunch of fat yet to come off.

Even Chevy itself has multiple vehicles covering with many overlaps. Leading to slack sales on all models.

GMC == upper class Chevy Trucks
Cadillac == Trickle down to Chevy
GM == Chevy period.

GM should become Chevy and sell off everything eventually. Chevy is really the only Brand worth anything to GM at the moment.

Concentrate on making Chevy -> Chevrolet and MAKE IT THE BRAND

TOO MANY BRANDS are not able to carry GM.
New I can see a certain logic to holding Buick.
In China, Buick apparently is doing very well. It used to be the Emperor's car or some such thing. If GM really wants to continue to compete there (and it may soon become a fool's errand), they probably need to keep Buick. That doesn't mean it's needed in the US, but they'd have to finesse that somehow as at least some of the Buicks are exported from the US to China.

I don't disagree with you on the rest. GM has killed the value in most of their brands, so getting rid of the names wouldn't be that much of a loss. There's no reason why a Chevy dealer couldn't sell a G8 or an Aura or an ... They could keep Cadillac separate as a premium brand (there's a certain logic in that), but they don't need 2-3 entry brands and 2-3 mid-range brands and a near-luxury brand in the US.

Saturn was Roger Smith's pet project and never had a chance. The rest of GM wasn't capable of learning the good lessons from them (if there were any), and their cars were never good enough to be world-beaters.

Also, once they started putting Chevy V8 engines in Oldsmobiles the management at GM should have realized (yet again) that there were far too many brands and too little to distinguish the cars. They could have made GM much more efficient starting in the 1970s for crying out loud. Trying to do it in a rush now will mean a lot of pain...

GM has 12 worldwide automotive brands (excluding Olds). http://www.gm.com/utilities/gmsites/

Toyota has 4 worldwide brands. http://www.toyota.co...x_automotive.html

That should have told GM management something a long time ago. Trouble is, all of the VPs and GMs of the divisions that would have gotten the ax probably weren't too keen on giving up their very well paying jobs for the benefit of the company (and the country). It's not surprising that little changed. :-(

Cheers,
Scott.
New Indeed.. 'Country First!' -- that shibboleth of recent
cynical campaign familiarity, may have now acquired the cachet of, "Trust Me; I'm Honest."

It will be difficult to imagine 'trusting' most-anyone (still-) ensconced in the upper echelons of corporate or financial or real estate or ___ ___ for a lengthy period. A generation? Auto moguls reforming <-- Selves?? Tobacco farmers growing hemp?

Overlaying anything Detroit might propose/accept -- methinks that Vulture Capitalism itself, that which has perpetually lauded the most devious of lying bastards as its enduring Icons -- is really the 'reformation', without which we shall just generate a replacement round of scheming hucksters and flat-out dissembling 'regulators'. The US long ago became inured to the inherently dishonest means by which each crop of Barons fleeced each crop of sheep.

oTpy

Unclear if the sheep/Baron relationship shall next (ever?) be altered significantly -- less'n the whole shebang goes all-Windoze-Vista on US. Should be fun to watch
-- but only for those with minimal 'financial instruments' in the piggy bank :-/
No fun there.

As to that futchah thing - 2009 +
Just how Does one identify a stage of rehabilitation, beyond which.. 'corrupt' is not the first word evoked by such (titles, phrases) as, The Art of the Deal (?)

Expand Edited by Ashton Nov. 27, 2008, 06:17:23 PM EST
     GM considers sale/closing Pontiac, Saab, Saturn. - (Another Scott) - (5)
         Re: GM considers sale/closing Pontiac, Saab, Saturn. - (folkert) - (2)
             I can see a certain logic to holding Buick. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Indeed.. 'Country First!' -- that shibboleth of recent - (Ashton)
         Dear lord, Buicks are ugly. - (pwhysall)
         I kinda worry about Holden - (Meerkat)

Oh good, just go the wrong way why don't you!
39 ms