IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Oh, there's an easy reason for that
I'd say the quote by the principal covers the general feeling.

The student's mother, Eshe Riviears, said the principal told her: "Whether you like it or not, we're in the South, and there are a lot of people who are not happy with this decision."

Things going on in the south will be less likely to be reported or prosecuted.

Yes, I made that up. No, I don't have supporting links. It would probably take hours of research for me, maybe a couple of minutes for Another Scott.

Hey AS: Got some time?

So anyway, that's my theory. At least as a response to your comment. A single article with a few mentions can't possibly cover the dynamics of what is going on right now. Interesting how you tried to spin this as a north vs south, with the north being more racist.
New Having lived many years on both sides
I will continue to tell you that the current is there...likely in equal parts north vs south...but in your neck of the woods it is much more vocal and often much more violent.

I, too, wouldn't be able to find supporting links...though they might be there...its simply my observation.
Expand Edited by beepster Nov. 16, 2008, 11:11:20 AM EST
New Well, sure
Hmmm.
Anectdotal bullshit.
What shall I observe/make up to counter?
Ahhh, I know!

Because the oppression in general is so overwhelming you have far fewer "events" since people are more cautious about causing offense and triggering a reaction that won't even get reported.

Up here, it is a pocketed neigborhood issue. It isn't part of the regional culture, at least not in my (or your old) area.

But hey, I'm making stuff up here.

New Okay, could a NE city have the following 3 events at the
same time without burning down?
ITLA http://www.inthelifeatl.com/
Auburn VS Alabama college football with the most crazed fans SEC conference
Southern Baptist convention all in the downtown area at the same time
maybe you watch too much tv
thanx,
bill
New Not much.
As the article mentions, the Southern Poverty Law Center has a special interest in hate crimes and the like. They keep track of items in the news, etc.

http://www.splcenter.../fortherecord.jsp

The information is generally out there, but it might be hard to find in a condensed form. I don't know if one can as easily generalize about regional differences in charging and prosecutions as 40-50 years ago. It might have more to do with the age of the regional head prosecutor, etc... :-/

Note that the SPLC map of the count of hate groups by state seems to roughly correlate with population, though there is a south-east bias.

http://www.splcenter...ntel/map/hate.jsp

Of course, the SPLC is based in Alabama and has a historical interest in goings on in the south-east, so it's not surprising that the old South is more heavily represented. But look at California and NJ....

HTH a bit.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks
     And wouldn't you know it... - (folkert) - (8)
         and while GA gets a couple of mentions - (beepster) - (7)
             see, they should take out all of their hate on - (boxley)
             Oh, there's an easy reason for that - (crazy) - (5)
                 Having lived many years on both sides - (beepster) - (2)
                     Well, sure - (crazy) - (1)
                         Okay, could a NE city have the following 3 events at the - (boxley)
                 Not much. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Thanks -NT - (crazy)

Now, right off the bat you have to worry about a recipe found in Chemical and Engineering News.
94 ms