IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hmmm . . . I have the complete 40th edition
(1958-1959) of the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, which I purchased new. We called it the "Chemical Rubber Handbook" back then. The first table in the book is "Antidotes for Poisons", somewhat more interesting than log tables. The 40th was one of the last years in the small "handbook" format with flexible covers and printed on bible paper. At 3" thick it's almost as thick as it is high (3456 pages).

The CRH, Log Log Duplex Vector slide rules made of real bamboo with machine ruled white celuloid overlay, drafting tools in fitted, velvet lined wooden boxes, etched glass graduate columns with a red background stripe - geekdom had really cool stuff back then. Now it's all plastic, computerised and has the liftime of a fruit fly.

Another handbook I just couldn't resist when I saw it in the store was the Handbook of Poisoning (sixth edition, Lang 1969). It's cover is solid black with beetle green metalic lettering. The spine just says POISONING. I usually file it among my cookbooks.

Machinery's Handbook is another great handbook I have from one of my more recent past lives. It's about the same size as the CRH but on thicker paper (only 2104 pages). Unfortunately mine's a disgustingly recent 17th edition (1964), but also purchased new.

Uh-oh, soe vinegar splashed into y keyoard and letters are starting to go out - got to go get e another one . . .

There - that's better.

Other cool stuff we had - back when science was fun - was micrograin rocket fuel (zinc dust and sulphur). The worlds most dependable rocket fuel - it could be absolutely depended upon to do one of three things . . . (depending on how it was mixed, and especially how it was packed into the rocket).

Micrograin aleviated the difficult problem of making rocket nozzels. Any restriction of the tube would result in an explosion. No nozzel required.

A 36" long rocket (generally a stainless steel tube), if all went well, would burn for about 36 feet, leaving a column of florescent zinc chromate green smoke. It sounded like squeezing 50 pounds of jello through a one inch hole in 1/4 second.

Then the long wait for it to come down, and the hope it wouldn't come down right here - please!

Of course, if the packing wasn't quite right, no fragment would ever be found (I did find a twisted stainless steel shard out on the desert once) and we'd have to get out the hammers to try to straighten out the angle iron launching rack for the next one.

Then there were the fizzlers, the ones where the fuel was packed too tight. Even so, a satisfying cloud of billious green smoke.

All this was ruined by Thiocol Rubber rocket fuel. It always worked the same way, never exploded and no billious green smoke - all the fun was gone.

You young-uns have no idea what you missed out on.

[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Feb. 27, 2002, 01:27:54 AM EST
New Other fun books
Henley's Formulas - full of poisons, paints, explosives, and other neat stuff.
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
New Yes. The only formularies I have . .
. . are facimilies of ones written in the late Renaisance. I should get a couple more recent ones like the ones I used to read in the library when I was a kid.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Don't let Boxley get his hands on it
Of course, he's probably got all the good stuff memorized anyway.
BConnors
"Prepare for metamorphosis. Ready, Kafka?"
New That seems much more useful
More information, more recent, more nostalgia value.

As for fun, it is unwise to underestimate the effects of mixing the Anarchist's Cookbook with active (and unwise) teenagers...

Cheers,
Ben
New Funny, we (old f*rts) called them CRC Handbooks.
But, it's the [link|http://www.hbcpnetbase.com/hbcp/|same beast.] I bought mine in the 1950's (39th edition), loaned it to my engineer daughter when she was in college in the 1980's and it's still on her bookshelf. I do not miss it.

The density or melting point of lead has not changed since those days. All is on-line, e.g. [link|http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/text/Pb/heat.html|Lead.]
Alex

"Of course, you realize this means war." -B. Bunny
New Got my 34th Ed. right chere..
They were no fun when they went to conventional size ~ #40? as said.. Lotsa stuff crammed onto rice-paper. Will be useful (in some scenarios) after EMP has taken out most transistors - unless it turns out that anybody who could read such a book - would be hunted down, exterminated by the mutant survivors, in that bleak future.

I guess the Chem Rubber Hdbk was our first glimpse of what information overload would look like.

Slide rules Rule on e-Bay (or did a couple years back when I looked). Pity I gave away my K&E Log Log Decitrig a while back. Besides - most calcs. are about a few-% estimate. Lots to be said for the discipline needed with a slide rule: ya gotta carry the decade multiplier in head. This forces a reasonable assessment of the order of magnitude you expect. The ez 10 digits of now throw-away calculators.. often gets you a quite precise number... off by 10\ufffd you forgot in some unit.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be,

Ashton
     Most useless book you possess? - (pwhysall) - (33)
         Cats at Work - (Silverlock)
         Useless books that I possess - (nking)
         Useless books that I possess - (nking)
         IBM PC BASIC Manual? - (altmann) - (7)
             Ah, but it would have been useful once upon a time, eh? -NT - (wharris2) - (5)
                 True. I wanted to say my Borland Object Vision manual but .. - (altmann) - (4)
                     Object Vision? - (wharris2)
                     Object Vision - (morganek) - (2)
                         No. That was Turbo Vision - (altmann) - (1)
                             My Bad--You're right (just a link inside) - (morganek)
             Ah, but Appendix D has Extended ASCII codes - (a6l6e6x)
         Re: Most useless book you possess? - (wharris2)
         How about "The VB 3.0 Super Bible" - (bconnors) - (1)
             "What's there to say?" Well, obviously... - (CRConrad)
         Inside OS/2 - (cforde)
         I vote for... - (folkert)
         Urantia Book, and The Book of Mormon - (Andrew Grygus)
         I have two beauts - (ben_tilly) - (7)
             Hmmm . . . I have the complete 40th edition - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                 Other fun books - (wharris2) - (2)
                     Yes. The only formularies I have . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Don't let Boxley get his hands on it - (bconnors)
                 That seems much more useful - (ben_tilly)
                 Funny, we (old f*rts) called them CRC Handbooks. - (a6l6e6x)
                 Got my 34th Ed. right chere.. - (Ashton)
         The Complete Guide to Palm OS. - (bepatient)
         swap ya for my forpro manual - (boxley) - (2)
             Shurely you mean... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 thass it -NT - (boxley)
         English/German phrase book - (rsf) - (1)
             Hey, ya never know when one of those'll come in handy! - (CRConrad)
         Re: Most useless book you possess? - (JayMehaffey)
         Most useless book to me - (boxley)

Somebody say, "Co-lom-bo!"
62 ms