IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Give the man a prize!
He's 100% correct. My past life as a volunteer firefighter can verify this. :)
-YendorMike

Real programmers use "vi a.out".
New Perhaps you can answer this
In a four-story building supposedly on fire (at least with a fire alarm going off, even though there might not be any visible smoke or flame), would you take the elevator?
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
New Four-story?
I can climb four stories of steps faster than an elevator could get me there anyway.
-YendorMike

Real programmers use "vi a.out".
New Unless you are in
a 35 story building near the top, and the elevators don't work. Run down the stairs, 35 flights, and hope you don't croak of a heart attack when you get down to the 1st floor. I did that once before when visiting a Headhunter and after 6pm the elevators where locked, unless I had a key, and the headhunter had left for the night ahead of me. So it was 35 floors all the way down. I did 10 floors, and then stopped to take a breath, 10 more floors, another rest, 10 more floors, yet another break, and then 5 more floors. I was sweating a lot when I got out of the building.

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New You probably have quite an appreciation for the WTC walkers
Some people made it down from floor 100 in the second tower, before the second plane hit that is. After the second plane hit, I don't think anyone higher than where it hit made it out. And that's just going DOWN. Those firemen and rescue workers hoofing it UP the steps, egads!
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
New Yes I do
myself if that happened I'd try to slide down the hand-rails or take it four steps at a time instead of one step at a time. 35 Floors and I was almost about to pass out. I may have never made it if I was in the WTC an at the 100th floor. How long before the second plane hit?

New Something like fifteen minutes
I was driving to work that morning and had tuned into a radio station as it was reporting on the first airplane hit. If I remember correctly, the second plane didn't hit until I was almost at the office (remembering the damn-stupid question by the female CNN talking head, whoever it was, "Could this be a terrorist attack?")
New Closer to twenty, perhaps eighteen.
New You need some exercise!
I consider myself out of shape, but you shouldn't (barring knee trouble and the like) have problems walking down stairs.

As I have long known, and recently started doing something about, getting and staying in decent shape is a matter of a 15 minute per day commitment over an extended time.

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New I do need exercise
I am almost 275 pounds. But when I do try to exercise, I get pain in my gut or in my back due to my other medical problems. So the best I can do is walk, for now. I have been walking.

New Um, start with small amounts of exercise
If you go out and try to do as many situps as you can, you will have problems. Try to jog a mile or three and ditto. If you sit down to try any exercise program, and go to it with the attitude, "OK! Time to whip this body in shape! No pain no gain! WORK!", you will have a problem.

So don't do that.

Not long ago Greg pointed you at [link|http://www.fourmilab.to/hackdiet/www/hackdietf.html|The Hacker's Diet] and gave his personal testimonial. I read it. I can't give you a personal testimonial from it. But I can say that, the [link|http://www.fourmilab.to/hackdiet/www/chapter1_2_5.html|exercise plan] certainly looks like sound advice. Note in particular that in the "run and jump" phase, "a brisk pace" on his introductory might for you mean a march rather than a run. That is OK.

So try that exercise plan. Your total for the first day is try to bend over twice, do 3 "introductory situps" (much easier than the real thing), 4 leg lifts, 2 "introductory pushups" (again easier than the usual thing), and a bit of marching in place. Try to finish it all in 15 minutes. Not really that much more work than getting in and out of bed a few times, getting dressed in the middle and walking around the block. Repeat the next day, every day, for a week. Then decide whether you are ready to do slightly more or not.

Do that for a month and you will feel like doing more, plus walking down 10 flights of steps will no longer strike terror in your heart. Sooner than you think, walking up them won't be very scary either...

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New Especially that last.
Every 'body worker" I know is by now aware that that slogan is cut from the same Marketing cloth as, Just Do It!

Norman, You do NOT want to evoke pain; it is more than counterproductive. Further (as I have verifed by experience) .. even gentle motions in fact 'educate' underused muscles and their nerve rete. Then as you work up your endurance (where you can begin to achieve other results) - they 'know' how to do more without strain or sprain.

(That's the simplistic version but it's close enough to work with.) Now then, as you progress - muscle soreness will appear, for obvious reasons. But soreness after exercise (maybe next day, even) is a Good feeling - not nearly the same as the pain of 'strain'. I hope this is something you already sorta know (?)

Luck on.. er persisting.

A.
     Only a PHB could have done this. - (wharris2) - (15)
         Actually there is a good reason for that - (ben_tilly) - (14)
             One trouble with that theory - (wharris2) - (13)
                 Actually, it's for the firemen. - (inthane-chan) - (12)
                     Give the man a prize! - (Yendor) - (11)
                         Perhaps you can answer this - (wharris2) - (10)
                             Four-story? - (Yendor)
                             Unless you are in - (nking) - (8)
                                 You probably have quite an appreciation for the WTC walkers - (wharris2) - (3)
                                     Yes I do - (nking) - (2)
                                         Something like fifteen minutes - (wharris2) - (1)
                                             Closer to twenty, perhaps eighteen. -NT - (CRConrad)
                                 You need some exercise! - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                     I do need exercise - (nking) - (2)
                                         Um, start with small amounts of exercise - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                             Especially that last. - (Ashton)

Ubersoft - Standing On The Necks Of Giants
121 ms