IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yes. Yes I do.
And I would submit that I have a *MUCH* higher tolerance for computer-related pain than your average user.

Based on that, I will submit (and I would have maintained even when I used it) that Linux is *not* ready for the general-user's desktop experience. There are lots and lots of really smart people working on Linux. But they're way too involved in internal politics of my-kit-is-better-than-your-kit (KDE vs. GNOME, rabid GNU adherents vs. those who would rather just get stuff done, etc.) There's a missing of the forest for the trees.

We should be further along than we are by now. It's sad that Linux isn't there yet.
-Mike
New You have *HIT* the complete problem...
NOT Building on others work and being all NIH (Not Invented Here)...

Case in point, HP making its own Linux distro, except...

They host many of Debian Machines that *BUILD* Debian, many that *HOST* master Debian repositories, the Mailing List machine(s), QA Machines, Experimental machines. IOW, HP really does host Debian hugely.

That whole attitude pervades the entire *Linux* mindset. Worst part of it is... *EVERYONE* wants to either work on the "Next Best Thing" or Eye Candy or nothing of real substance to getting things like YOU experienced fixed.
New My feelings in a nutshell.
Windows is too much aggravation on a daily basis, so I only use that for non-gaming activities when someone's willing to pay me for it.

Linux doesn't do the things I need and, as the recent shenanigans (still only kludged around, rather than fixed) on odin show, bites me in the poorly-documented arse from time to time.

Linux is great for serving Java applications and stuff like that. It's not so great for lazy bastids like me who just want to read their mail, do a little surfing, play a few games and have truly great font rendering.

It's the little things like the services; the text areas with built in grammar and spell checking; apps like Delicious Library; iTunes (yeah, some hate it. I love it.). The fact that Jobs rules the GUI with an iron fist means that you don't get the Windows Disease of every company feeling the need to reinvent the toolbox/menu/GUI to achieve "brand separation".

I've never pretended that OS X will work for everyone, but it works for me. My very first reaction to OS X, some five years ago, was "*this* is how it was supposed to be!".

I've not had any real cause to change that opinion yet.
New Heh.
I discovered some years ago that it was not taken amiss if I told IT recruiters that I don't want a job supporting Windows servers. It's too stressful. Probably gave a few of them pause for thought...

Wade.
New Ive felt like that since NeXt, way it should be
easy peasy on the fron end, unixy enuff in a terminal server for dodderers
if lemmy and god had a wrestling match who would win?
     Is it just me? Annoyances with Kubuntu. - (Another Scott) - (16)
         On PDF files - (mvitale) - (14)
             How do you like it? - (Another Scott) - (13)
                 Re: How do you like it? - (mvitale) - (12)
                     I know you hate futzing with Linux... - (folkert) - (7)
                         linux - (boxley)
                         There's more to it than that. - (malraux)
                         Yes. Yes I do. - (mvitale) - (4)
                             You have *HIT* the complete problem... - (folkert)
                             My feelings in a nutshell. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                 Heh. - (static)
                                 Ive felt like that since NeXt, way it should be - (boxley)
                     Go Mike - welcome to the cool/smug kids club :-) -NT - (Meerkat) - (1)
                         Thanks! My beret fits well. :) -NT - (mvitale)
                     "Semi UNIXy" - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         "Semi UNIXy" == Not case sensitive. -NT - (folkert)
         Re: Is it just me? Annoyances with Kubuntu. - (folkert)

If you don't know, then I'm not allowed to tell you.
50 ms