IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New McCain is doing much better tonight
I did not see the entire thing, but in the parts I saw, McCain did much better. I give this one to McCain, not a knock-out but a clear win.

McCain did go a bit too far on abortion. He was speaking to the hard right on that one, trying to secure his base without quite saying he wants to overturn Roe vs Wade.

But for the most part McCain seemed better collected and better on the answers, Obama was stuttering around too much. McCain was more specific, Obama went for generalities too often. McCain was able to get digs on Ayers and the plumber and international experience.

Not terminally so, I don't think this is going to save McCain's campaign. But it will help McCain's campaign.

It was clearly the best moderated of the debates. Schieffer was more direct about keeping them on topic and cutting them off when they went over time.

Jay
New Re: McCain is doing much better tonight
He got his arse handed to him. Obama is much more eloquent and fluent; McCain has the body language of a beaten man.
New Mostly agree.
McCain is being a bully, but Obama's just brushing him off.

John's comments about fully supporting the people at his rallies were disconcerting. His trying to say that Obama was insulting the VFW people who attend his events or something was disgusting.

McCain's comments on justices for the Supreme Court were incoherent. "No litmus test, but nobody who agrees with it would be on my short list..."

Superficially, McCain is better than in the previous 2 debates, but he's still looking very weird. Obama's looking presidential.

But, at this point, I don't think it's going to change the recent trends in the polls either way.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Agreed on the polls.
The gap's too wide now.
New Re: McCain is doing much better tonight
No.

McSame can't even answer a question without turning it into an attack to hit Obama. He also got KICKS IN at Clinton.

McSame sure has done better, but no where close to winning.

He is not sure of himself. And keeps trying to round up Autism. and bring in Palin... and lots of other things that just are Bullshit.
New My favorite part
...came when Johnny lumped cosmetic surgery and transplants together as "gold-plated" options.
New ya gotta have a LOT of gold for those options
if lemmy and god had a wrestling match who would win?
New Re: ya gotta have a LOT of gold for those options
Not in my country you don't... well, you do for the first, but not the second. It's strictly decided by availability.
New Only at the reduced-expectations level awarded Palin
- was he 'doing better', IMO.

The famous tongue-jut that telegraphs when he's lying, the schizoid rapid topic-change ploys (daring Obama to rebut every er, orthogonal sound-bite jammed-in), his basic pair of modes, patronizing or sarcastic: evidencing that his near-perpetual angry mood also interferes with his ability to maintain a cohesive flow of (relevant) ideas.

No, I don't think he did 'well', graded even on the Palin-curve -- though he fielded some ... almost minutes of competent debating demeanor. Still, even in those, a crucial core of his logic relied upon his mischaracterization of Obama's (usually, though not always) clear-enough statement on the topic.

I've seen nothing to dissuade self from believing that he operates (throughout this campaign, at least) very-near his personal 'safety-valve' trip point; only hearsay is available to describe alleged events of what happens after That blows.

It's possible that he could select some actually competent people to handle the Econ parts he clearly (and admittedly) has little ken about -- yet his choices of lobbyists, the Rove team et al -- as campaign advisors, make that happy-what-if a rather improbable outcome.

Would not want this man near the Bagman's Codes, in The Hunch Gambler's™ pursuit of the Victorious Warfare State, thankyouverymuch.

(Fortunately for us all) he did not achieve that ZINGER-class 'unmasking' of Obama, which alone (via most pundits of any stripe) was the Minimum-level of accomplishment tonight, were he to somehow abort the Obama momentum.

I think it's clearly: President Obama

(if he lives..)
New again did not watch the debate, this thread is interesting
Jay who is no repo claims
"Obama was stuttering around too much. McCain was more specific, Obama went for generalities too often."
stuttering around too much != presidential were you guys watching the same show?
thanx,
bill
New Re: again did not watch the debate, this thread is interesti
Jay's analysis is at odds with most peoples' view of the debate.
New It's certainly at odds with the polls
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/15/debate.poll/index.html
----
Fifty-eight percent of debate watchers questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll said Democratic candidate Obama did the best job in the debate, with 31 percent saying Republican Sen. John McCain performed best.

The candidates first debated in Oxford, Mississippi, on September 26. Fifty-one percent of debate watchers polled by CNN and the Opinion Research Corp. said Obama won that debate, with 38 percent saying McCain performed best. The second presidential debate was held in Nashville, Tennessee, on October 7 and 54 percent of debate watchers polled said Obama won, compared with 30 percent who said McCain did the best job.
----
The polls say this was Obama's best outing. But it certainly didn't come across that way to me, to me it felt more like Obama either trying to avoid going into details or not prepped sufficiently on the details.

Part of that probably reflects the tendency to think that whichever candidate you have already decided to vote for is doing better. But apparently a lot of people where seeing something in the debate I wasn't.

Jay
New What did FOX polls say?
Take CNN and Fox and average the 2.
New bradley effecting that poll
Heard a discussion last night about that. The left right and the political reporter all agreed that the south accounts for about a 2% swing in that number with the midwest, ohio penn etc accounting for as much as a 7% swing from polls to reality.

race is much closer but with Obama winning all 3 agreed.
thanx,
bill
     McCain is doing much better tonight - (jay) - (13)
         Re: McCain is doing much better tonight - (pwhysall) - (2)
             Mostly agree. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Agreed on the polls. - (pwhysall)
         Re: McCain is doing much better tonight - (folkert)
         My favorite part - (rcareaga) - (2)
             ya gotta have a LOT of gold for those options -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 Re: ya gotta have a LOT of gold for those options - (jake123)
         Only at the reduced-expectations level awarded Palin - (Ashton)
         again did not watch the debate, this thread is interesting - (boxley) - (4)
             Re: again did not watch the debate, this thread is interesti - (pwhysall) - (3)
                 It's certainly at odds with the polls - (jay) - (2)
                     What did FOX polls say? - (beepster)
                     bradley effecting that poll - (boxley)

Must be what keeps your hair up.
104 ms