IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Nitpick: "Rorschach", not "Rorshak". HTH!
New Yeah.. it does have a certain symmetry
Succumbing to the non-spelling generation, I guess. Well, long as I can get Djugashvili right, can Brzezinski be far behind?

A.
New But we spell ol' Josip as ~ 'Dzjugaszvilij' here!
Or something like that; I honestly can't quite remember for sure... And his patronymic is Vissarionovitj these days, where it used to be Vissarionovich. In German, I guess, it must be Vissarionowitsch -- and I won't even *try* to render his original last name into (ironically) my native tongue!

Never mind, though -- there is no global standard for kyrillic-latin (and latin-kyrillic?) transcription, AFAIK. It changes over time, too -- the Romanovs used to be the Romanoffs in Western languages; and the copy of Verne's _Courier of the Tsar_ [my translation of the title] I read as a kid was full of Baron Ignatieff and Gregor Michailovitsj [made-up examples], who'd doubtless be Baron Ignatjov and Grigorij Mikhailovitj now. (In Swedish -- in English, they'd be, les'see... Baron Ignachev and Grigory Mikhailovich?)

But what's (X-NSAdv.) Zbigniew gotta do with anything -- are you saying he's Kissinger's and Stalin's secret love-child?!?
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New ie Absolute proof that,
there is no such thing as absolute proof (or exact spelling, pronunciation).

Damn.. looks like there's another One addicted to memorizing any bizarre names as surface. Zbigniew has to be right up there with (variously) Iosip, Josif - Uncle Joe. It's gotta be a shared glitch in the DNA. Fortunately no tj's here that I've ever seen, so guess it's a -hoovian aberration. I imagine though that Czech would do us both in.

An ~ earliest recollection (re words) was seeing a box in my aunt's garage, maybe sometime ~ 4 yrs. old. And I proudly 'read' the label (actually place of origin) to her as,

"Chick-ago ill". And natch I thought she was putting me on when she pronounced 'Chicago' (and maybe mentiond the idea of abbreviation re the "Ill"). Found it odd later - to recall my exact pronunciation - now, obviously permanently.

Imagine if we'd been exposed to actually Interesting stuff at that time, when the brain was picking up everything, like a sponge.. Shit, we coulda been Smart instead of -

Cheers,

A.

PS heard one about the San Francisco transit company (called MUNI for municipal rwy. of course). Guy's friend Gloria was complaining about the service during a troubled time; wag replied -

Sick transit, Gloria - MUNI..
     Desktop Loveliness - (pwhysall) - (25)
         Mine are strictly utilitarian . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             Mine are probably more utilitarian still - (ben_tilly)
         Sure - (kmself)
         Oh...playing voyeur? - (bepatient)
         Ok, ok, but keep in mind . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
             Hmm... you cooking up something special? - (CRConrad) - (2)
                 Very good, very easy to make. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     I've just been browsing... - (Yendor)
         mine is a cli prompt, browser and whatever app I am using -NT - (boxley)
         Re: Desktop Loveliness - (Yendor) - (10)
             Ewww ... what is that orange about? -NT - (drewk) - (9)
                 Hook 'em Horns! - (Yendor) - (8)
                     Wow, school colors on the desktop - (drewk) - (7)
                         Heh. - (Yendor) - (1)
                             Probably lost it somewhere on "The Drag" or Sixth Street -NT - (bconnors)
                         Oh yeah... - (Yendor) - (4)
                             What "horn", exactly, would those (be trying to) refer to..? -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                 That would be... - (Yendor) - (2)
                                     So you're not trying to imply somethin'bout your anatomy...? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         Don't need to. - (Yendor)
         HOLY SH*T, Batman!! - (Ashton) - (4)
             Nitpick: "Rorschach", not "Rorshak". HTH! -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                 Yeah.. it does have a certain symmetry - (Ashton) - (2)
                     But we spell ol' Josip as ~ 'Dzjugaszvilij' here! - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         ie Absolute proof that, - (Ashton)

Specifically, they will not save the ship and crew, they will not win a stack of quatloos, and they will especially not get to sleep
80 ms