IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Look for more OpenOffice downloads, then
Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits
New I just did.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Did they do an OpenOffice OSX port yet?
I was just wondering? Did Sun drop MacOS support in StarOffice? Did they even bother to try and port it to MacOS? What about OS/2 support in StarOffice/OpenOffice?

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New Re: Did they do an OpenOffice OSX port yet?
The OS X port is still a work in progress. Apparently some modules compile but not all of them. I just checked the site but I can't find any info on the port except a note that it's in the CVS tree. (There are builds for Solaris, Windows , x86 Linux and PPC Linux)

I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but this is a bit maddening. If this was available, I'd use it in a heartbeat.

Appleworks is good, but PowerPoint input/output isn't there and frankly I think Apple is going to have to do something to encourage competing office suites. The MS agreement is up this summer and after that MS has no legal reason to keep updating Office for Mac OS (X or not). This means that Apple is once again dancing around to Redmond's tune. (To use a terrible metaphor.)

It's not like I just want something for nothing, either. I'd happily pay for a competing office suite. There's no way I can justify the $500 price for Office X and if there were some competition I wouldn't be in a position to have to justify it.

(I realize that I can get educational discounts but that's not the point. The software is obscenely overpriced in the first place, especially for what it does.)

Anyway, you hit my little hot button tonight, I guess, but that's my rant.

Anyone else have more info on OpenOffice for OS X?

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

"Real children don't go hoppity-skip unless they are on drugs."
-- Susan, the ultimate sensible governess
(Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)
New Apparently, M$'s MacBU is profitable.
So I guess it'll keep going for the time being at least. Sure, the Billgatron could afford to swat it out of existance in the blink of a spiteful eye, but with his great love of the dollar it wouldn't seem too likely.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Yeah, but it still bugs me
It's kind of embarrassing when Linux users have more software choices than Mac users do.

Not that I have anything against Linux. I'm teaching UNIX sysadmin next term and I'm giving each of my students an install set of RH 7.2 and I recommended and spec'ed out a Linux build option for the programming classes which includes OpenOffice.

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

- "It could be a torture chamber or a dungeon or a hideous pit or anything!"
- "It's just a student's bedroom, sergeant."
- "You see?"
-- (Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms)
New Not real surprising there's more Linux than OS X software
I guess there are more Linux boxes out there and they've been around a lot longer. But yeah, I know what you mean about software choice. Sure, good things come to those who wait, but when dealing with computers, most people don't wait. Only clever people who own Macs, I guess :)

Regarding availability of software, I had no reasons to be smug about my Mac ownership recently - there's still catching up to be done in the whole 'digital hub' thing. Sure, it might be 'yesterday-tech', but no support for the White Book VCD filesystem in OS X is a pain, and the software I have for playing SuperVCD files (vlc) has lip-synch issues. Sure, these things will (may) be fixed eventually, but the sad thing is Windows has all this right now.

Of course, this simply means I should quite whingeing and start developing...
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Linux and MacOSX
Yes it is sad that Linux has more support than OSX, despite Macs having more marketshare than Linux. I've also noticed that emulators like MAME and MESS used to come out for MacOS before Windows or Linux, and now it is the other way around?

OSX needs more applications, not just ones in Classic mode, but in OSX native mode. It would be nice if StarOffice or OpenOffice was OSX native. Then they wouldn't need Microsofts MacOffice bloatware.

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New What I'd really like to see...
and would make a lot of sense, Apple buys Corel. Not only could they ween their dependence on MS but also Adobe.

Now, let me say this... I have been using Excel for the Mac since 1.0a (still have the 400K floppy), and nothing I have used comes close. If OfficeX ceased to improve, it would still take competitors years to come anywhere near the functionality and elegance of OfficeX. I have Office XP on an XP machine and I have OfficeX on an OSX.1 machine... There is no comparison. Office X suite is a great piece of software. On my Sparc, I support (notice, I didn't say use) StarOffice... It is a functional piece of software, and that's as generous as I can get as an end user. The launch page takes up to 25 seconds to load on my Sparc 30 with 512 MB of RAM...

Back to my proposed merger, Apple picks up the source to WordPerfect and all the old Borland apps, not to mention Corel Draw Suite... I know they "wined" WP suite 2000 for Linux, I can't see why Apple couldn't quickly do this for BSD. They develop OS/X and Linux native versions and sell the suite for about $50 to $75 (combining this with the best pieces of Appleworks). They "threaten" to sell Windows version of same software (keeping MS a bit "motivated" to compete). They also use the Draw pieces to motivate Adobe to "get real" with their application pricing.

I could be wrong...

This makes so much sense
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, take a bow for the new revolution, smile and grin at the change all around, pick up my guitar and play, just like yesterday..."

P. Townshend

"Nietzsche has an S in it"
Celina Jones
New What kind of finder's fee are you going to ask for ...
... when the merger happens?
I can't be a Democrat because I like to spend the money I make.
I can't be a Republican because I like to spend the money I make on drugs and whores.
New Makes too much sense, so of course it won't happen.
New Bingo!
It all depends on the golden parachutes for Corel management. :(
Alex

"Of course, you realize this means war." -B. Bunny
New Hmm, Bill G owns 20% of Corel and Mac owes him
A huge stack of cash, So a merger would increase his stake and influence.
thanx,
bill
"I'm selling a hammer," he says. "They can beat nails with it, or their dog."
Richard Eaton spy software innovator
     Sun to charge for StarOffice - (admin) - (20)
         Look for more OpenOffice downloads, then -NT - (tjsinclair) - (12)
             I just did. -NT - (imric)
             Did they do an OpenOffice OSX port yet? - (nking) - (10)
                 Re: Did they do an OpenOffice OSX port yet? - (tjsinclair) - (9)
                     Apparently, M$'s MacBU is profitable. - (Meerkat) - (3)
                         Yeah, but it still bugs me - (tjsinclair) - (2)
                             Not real surprising there's more Linux than OS X software - (Meerkat)
                             Linux and MacOSX - (nking)
                     What I'd really like to see... - (screamer) - (4)
                         What kind of finder's fee are you going to ask for ... - (drewk)
                         Makes too much sense, so of course it won't happen. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             Bingo! - (a6l6e6x)
                         Hmm, Bill G owns 20% of Corel and Mac owes him - (boxley)
         Thats a shame... - (bepatient) - (2)
             Yes, they do seem to think that - (nking)
             Well, there's always the ZoneAlarm (and others) way. - (a6l6e6x)
         Cool by me - (kmself) - (3)
             That's a neat trick! - (static)
             Sun has to have a way to pay off - (nking)
             I've done that - (cforde)

Screw it, we're fighting Cirque de Soleil! Run for your life!
100 ms