IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Weird; is that even (or should it even be) valid HTML / XML?
Scott quotes from some apparently [HT|X]ML-ish Squid or Apache config file:
<Location />
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</Location>
Is everybody just inventing their own syntax with <s and >s in it nowadays because the Web is so "in", or is this supposed to be some actual standard markup language...?[*] I mean, I know many apps nowadays keep their config files in XML format[+], so if this is from Squid or Apache[#], I would have thought that this was XML...

But if it is that, then WTH is up with that opening "<Location />" tag? Specifically, the "/" slash just before the ending ">" character -- I thought that was supposed to be used only for "self-ending" tags; i.e, tags that don't affect a chunk of text up to a corresponding closing tag, like in this case, the "</Location>" tag. That's why they moved the closing-tag signifier, the "/" slash, to the opening tag in the fricking first place, innit?

And, my point -- my real point, I suppose, if we really get down to it, is this: If one can use this newfangled "self-ending tag" syntax even when the tag obviously doesn't end immediately... Then one can apparently use it everywhere... So then it's in effect just the same as the ordinary old-fashioned non-"self-ending" tag syntax -- so the new shtuff apparently makes absolutely no fricking difference, does it?

Way to go, oh Creator Deities Of Markup Syntax.

[*]: If you don't grok this question, refresh this page until you get that LRPDism about rhetorical ones.

[+]: A possibly somewhat dubious decision in and of itself, IMO, but that's not the subject of this post.

[#]: Sorry, I'm not even clear on which of them this is from -- but that doesn't matter to my point here.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Ah, the Germans: Masters of Convoluted Simplification. — [link|http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1603|Jehovah]
New Actually, the / is an argument.
Location of /, basically. The root directory. A space after it isn't required, apparently. Standard Apache config file.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Huh? Eh...? Oh, aah! Aha. Ahem. Uhm, yes, well, then. Right.
New What he said.
-----------------------------------------
In his first Inaugural Address, Ronald Reagan remarked that \ufffdgovernment is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.\ufffd While the quip has provided Republicans with a cheap slogan for two decades, the philosophy behind it is beginning to box them in. If they govern effectively, they invalidate their own antigovernment ideology. And when you elect people who believe that government won\ufffdt work, you shouldn\ufffdt be surprised when government stops working.
-Markos Moulitsas Z\ufffdniga
New I think it predates XML.
It should probably strictly be <Location "/"> but Apache isn't fussy.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

· my ·
· [link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] ·
· [link|http://yceran.org/|website] ·

New Ah, I C -- now *that* makes sense. Thanks!
     Weird; is that even (or should it even be) valid HTML / XML? - (CRConrad) - (5)
         Actually, the / is an argument. - (admin) - (2)
             Huh? Eh...? Oh, aah! Aha. Ahem. Uhm, yes, well, then. Right. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 What he said. -NT - (Silverlock)
         I think it predates XML. - (static) - (1)
             Ah, I C -- now *that* makes sense. Thanks! -NT - (CRConrad)

And my Gramma, too.
75 ms