IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New USB problems on a T41 laptop.
My trusty T41 Thinkpad has decided that it won't let me use my USB memory sticks any more. For a while they were flaky with Win2k, then I started getting "Unsafe Removal" popups while the stick was still in the socket. Now it's not recognized at all - even in Kubuntu, so it seems to be a hardware issue. I wasted a few hours tonight trying to trouble shoot it, without success. (Including updating the BIOS and drivers from Lenovo; deleting and rediscovering the USB hardware; etc. I even deleted a registry key that MS says can be a problem on WinXP (NOT recommended).) This thing has always acted as if the USB ports were 1.1- when they're supposed to be 2.0-speed ports. :-(

It seems to be a fairly common problem with some people reporting that emery boards help; others report that it doesn't.

I've ordered a PCMCIA USB adapter - we'll see how that goes.

I was just wondering if others have had similar issues with USB sockets on laptops and if there was some magic solution that I may have overlooked. (Beep?)

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
[link|http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=006978452673906630972%3A_5xhnlvpsn4|IWeThey Custom Search Engine]
New Only problems I've had with USB ports
is my kids trying to stick other crap in them.

The t23 has to go on the docking station for USB now :-(
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Indeed sounds like a hardware issue.
Given the progression of events it's more than likely a solder connection for USB related circuitry.
Alex

Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law. -- Sophocles (496? - 406 BCE)
     USB problems on a T41 laptop. - (Another Scott) - (2)
         Only problems I've had with USB ports - (bepatient)
         Indeed sounds like a hardware issue. - (a6l6e6x)

If you don't know, then I'm not allowed to tell you.
99 ms