Finally got around to this pithy review (one has to be in properly lugubrious mood to 'enjoy' the Machiavellian machinations which seduce the unwashed majorities.)

Agree, even for us political-gossip non-junkies - finally hearing some not-too varnished quips from such an eye-witness is proving irresistible - especially to anyone who recalls the milieu or even a day's events / to match the quip.
He later muses that advisers who \ufffdare wrong in an effective way,\ufffd like McNamara, Rusk and Dulles (or Cheney, Rummy and Condi), are more potent than those who are \ufffdright in an ineffective way.\ufffd

Pity, that; prompts, Oh Wa Tana Siam! - even prior to (the execrable trio) comparison of Dowd's.
There is a wisp of asperity about Jackie. He reveals his \ufffdhorror\ufffd when she marries Aristotle Onassis. One weekend in 1979, when she meets Schlesinger\ufffds plane at Hyannis driving her own car, he admits he is \ufffdperplexed\ufffd that \ufffdso \ufffdreal\ufffd a girl would have cared about marrying Onassis and living that kind of life. I can only conclude that there are dimensions to Jackie I never see.\ufffd

Is it possible that he was not privy to Jackie's rationale of those dismal days of '68?
[Recent quote from PBS redux of Apollo 8 fly-by and moon landings: the 4-word telegram sent to an astronaut, THANKS FOR SAVING 1968.]
<Jackie> ~~ "If it's open season on Kennedys here, I'm taking my children the fuck outta here." Prolly not, but Jackie saying THAT word, as perfectly Rare + appropriate emphasis - wouldn't surprise.

Maybe hit up the library for this one - thanks for noticing it.

A.