IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Downfalls of Civ3
First if you don't find a source of "Iron" you cannot make swordsmen, if you don't find "salt peter" you won't make Musketmen. It is sometimes hard to find these things unless you trade with another civilization or take over their city that has that resource. So even if you have the tech, if you don't have the raw materials you are SOL. Sometimes you find a "new source" for X, but very rarely. They need to improve this part of the game, maybe make a "prospector" unit that can search the hills and mountians for a new source of iron or something.

Second the combat system is really f*cked up, how can a Regular Spearman take out an Elite Musketman? Must be bad dice rolls or something? I wish they had the MOM or Ultima 7 combat system, where you move each unit one at a time, and tell it what to do and where to attack. Instead, you see them bump heads and watch as the hitpoints go down until one unit runs away or gets killed?

Third, I did not find out any way to make an Diplomat or Spy unit, when I had the tech to make one. In Civ2, you could make one of these creatures and then bribe the enemy unit or city to join your cause. Without these, it makes the game less fun.

Fourth, non-combat units get captured too easily. Your worker, settler, cannon, catipult, etc can be captured and taken over. In the old Civ2, they had hitpoints and could take damage and fight back. Now they just f*cking surrender and become an enemy unit? Aren't there any people manning those cannons?

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New Re: Downfalls of Civ3
The resource thing is obviously intentional. What is the point of having strategic resources if everybody can get one? The limited resources is actually one of the things I like about the game, since it can force you to rethink your plans half way through the game.

The combat system is really messed up though. The flattened the power levels of units, so higher tech grants less of an advantage. It does solve the race for gunpowder that was a problem in Civ2, but they could have found some other way to fix that.

As for diplomats and spies, they are not units anymore. You can still do the same things by selecting cities and having spies there attempt things but you can't stockpile them anymore.

And I do agree that non-combat units should have a chance of going down fighting rather then being automatically captured. It does make defending your territory a significant factor though, which I do like.

Jay
     Civilization III - (nking) - (12)
         long live MOO, MOM, and ultima 7! - (lordbeatnik) - (3)
             MOO2 rules! - (admin) - (1)
                 Other ports - (nking)
             Civ3 and Windows 2000 - (nking)
         Two minds about civ 3 - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
             Downfalls of Civ3 - (nking) - (1)
                 Re: Downfalls of Civ3 - (JayMehaffey)
         I'll defend Civ 3 - (warmachine)
         I prefer the board game - (SpiceWare) - (3)
             Yes the board game - (nking) - (1)
                 alternate maps - (SpiceWare)
             Ditto - (ben_tilly)

Ph34r the triple-recursive meta-LRPD.
37 ms