IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New NOOOO...!!
Thanks, anyway. Time to clear out all but a few specimens.

Nope, decided there's no further point in 'saving' Tek scopes "for another generation" (even if there is one, by luck.) Believe that game has been called because of darkness lack-of-interest.

But {sniff} I recognize (too much!) of that precious junk shown. Alas, pearls-before-swine -- but lots of Euro folk I know would salivate. Meanwhile, the new shipping rates make it ~impractical now to send this stuff to where there are still people learning things. Anti-synergy?

New I don't know about that, Ashton
Perhaps I shall take up the mantle of accumulating outdated technology. Heck, I've already got a good start with all the "crap" computers we have assembled in our back room closet :-)

Never thought about making a profit peddling these heretofore pieces o' shite to up-and-coming nations seeking to better themselves <cough><cough>.

It's true...you truly can polish turds. They just look like hardware :-D
Smile,
Amy
New Computers == quite different..
(Not interested in saving old cute curios, for nostalgia sake.)
And computer old-tech isn't even much good for the have-nots any more, for reasons Critter will surely 'splain.

Current \ufffd-boxes are designed to last til the next monstrous Doze non-rewrite kludge renders them underpowered for all the next-nastier DRM and NewBloat\ufffd - - ie. there's no point in longevity (though, last I looked - the old Otrona did fire up a few years back. WordStar Lives!)
S'OK if these mobo kinda things have the longevity of a may fly! -- but the stuff you showed is about real Electronics, more specifically: "test gear".

Physics at that level doesn't change, nor does the need to see and measure effects while learning, designing new or verifying existing circuitry. Tek represented the best of Murican education, cleverness and (its unique form of) a noncompromising try for perfection. (There is cheap-shit 'test equipment' too, but that remains uninteresting. Especially in our new MBA-only milieu)

Thus, many of these now 30-40 yo gadgets, still meeting New specs -- have no modern counterparts: *all* new stuff is designed to a 4-6 year Total Life (no diagrams, no parts - replace entire main board if a surface-mount cap. fails, etc. Cutoff of costly exchanges after x-years.) There is only One currently made 1 GHz analog scope sold, etc. Price well into 4 figures (as were the last of the Tek 1 GHz models.)

But you can buy a perfectly operating "Tek 7104" now, for $300-700, depending on luck and, at cheap end: a reseller who has no idea what it is, can do. Etc. And since many of the models use no (or few) special ICs, often just discrete transistors -- except for things running 8 hrs/day, these machines can be doing useful work for decades.

The Problem is: there are fewer and fewer students doing electronics in US, learning via test equipment once affordable only by labs -- even though it is Dirt cheap, in the US: now merely a Remarketing National Corporation. We sell others' stuff. And push paper. Kids who once built things (even TV sets) on kitchen tables (Heathkits) are game-playing and texting doggerel. Soldering? what's That?

I expect to find good homes for only a fraction of the equip. I have gleaned over the years (ie. 'homes' where someone is interested in learning electronics/physics via experimentation.. that interest which used to lead to academic courses, etc.)

The rest -- \ufffdQuien sabe? -- if it could be magically transported to The Continent (or S. America and similar) the gear would be snapped up, even the ones needing some sleuthing. Shipping kills that, for things 20 KG and up == New USPS rates and even sillier ones by the private shippers.

So.. that FW supply depot, if it survives the death of octogenarian owner -??- will appeal to fewer and fewer, yet the rent/location gets more expensive, etc. Dinosaur: a relic of the era when, 6 years after JFK's speech: Apollo 8 went into orbit around the moon. Now we simulate science via cgi imaginations. We aim bright young kids to --> emulate the likes of Trump. Rhymes with Dumbth, sorta.

But hey! - once it *was* Fun to learn stuff here, apply it - and later make a decent living for the hard work + fun: Sputnik gave the needed ass-kick then, and the students followed. I'm glad I didn't miss it - sorry about your kids' options + the other millions settling for Biz Admin "as career" :-/

Here's lookin at you (kids) ... We'll always have.. Paris Feynman!
     Hey Ashton, need some more VU meters? (Humor) - (dmcarls) - (5)
         That's in my neck o' the woods - (imqwerky)
         ICLRPD (new thread) - (static)
         NOOOO...!! - (Ashton) - (2)
             I don't know about that, Ashton - (imqwerky) - (1)
                 Computers == quite different.. - (Ashton)

When?
57 ms