IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Should have been clearer.
Unfortunately, I have no control over the server. :P This is a class project, and it has to run from a server that I have no control over the scripting availible on it.

I was hoping for some way from directly within HTML 4.0 itself, but my guess is there's no way to do what I want to do.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Only workaround...
...is to include a javascript file that has a series document.writeln's to output the html. That's, of course, assuming you are allowed to use client side javascript.
New Bleah.
Never mind, I'm doing it the hard way - designing a template, and then just blatting everything into the table section for main content.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New If you're gonna do that...
...Wh not use frames?...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New 'Cause...
...frames suck. Not to mention, they break Lynx, and I'm trying to make a "universal" site that doesn't break anybody.

This is going to be my own personal web site - not too much content changing, so it won't be hard to upkeep until I do get my own personal web server running. At that point, watch out world!

BTW, my current personal web site (which hopefully will be replaced by the new one in the next week) is at [link|http://www.oz.net/~inthane|[link|http://www.oz.net/~inthane|http://www.oz.net/~inthane]]. It does indeed use frames, and was last updated some time ago.

Now I know how to actually do it right. :)
New What kind of server?
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New No control over that.
Has to either be browser side or completely file based. :P

Just wondering, can anybody think of a reason that external html fragments aren't includable into another file as part of the HTML spec? If not, I might try to come up with something and submit it...
New But *YOU CAN* include external html fragments.
See my post below: [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=29533|Solution.]

Start with Here something much better:
Alex

"Of course, you realize this means war." -B. Bunny
New Oops.
Misread the "Netscape Only" bit... :P
New Re: Oops.
Yeah, but my editing could have been better as well.
Alex

"Of course, you realize this means war." -B. Bunny
New I think it's a lexical question.
A HTML page is supposed to be a structured document. Including complete structure within an element is currently provided by the IFRAME and OBJECT elements, but it's clearly not what you want. This is because conventional "include" files are pre-processing - they help make the file be a complete, structured document. Put another way, they need to be processed before the structure can be evaluated.

So, lexically, you need another "language" that is the put-the-file-together context. The C pre-processor is a good example of this, but HTML doesn't have anything. Apache's scripted HTML puts its meta comands inside SGML comments; that might be the right context. Anyone know if SGML has the appropriate instruction?

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Actually...
...the IFRAME and OBJECT stuff does exactly what I need it to - I'm just worried that my teacher is going to throw a hissy fit for me using something that he didn't teach in class. :)
New Nothing in the standard.
You will have to rely on server-extensions like the Apache server-side includes (sometimes called scripted HTML) or some sort of CGI-ish solution like PHP or my own [link|http://yceran.org/qompose|Qompose].

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

#include "file" for HTML? - (inthane-chan) - (17)
         Apache - (admin)
         Use a templating solution for this - (ben_tilly)
         Should have been clearer. - (inthane-chan) - (12)
             Only workaround... - (ChrisR) - (3)
                 Bleah. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                     If you're gonna do that... - (imric) - (1)
                         'Cause... - (inthane-chan)
             What kind of server? -NT - (admin) - (6)
                 No control over that. - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                     But *YOU CAN* include external html fragments. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                         Oops. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                             Re: Oops. - (a6l6e6x)
                     I think it's a lexical question. - (static) - (1)
                         Actually... - (inthane-chan)
             Nothing in the standard. - (static)
         Check out the <layer>...</layer> tags - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Sorry, but that's only for Netscape. Here is how: - (a6l6e6x)

This is immediately dreadful.
64 ms