IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hot new untreatable bug coming to your hospital ... soon
[link|http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/10/18/DD1QSQTCI.DTL&hw=jon+carroll&sn=001&sc=1000| Jon Carroll] at SFGate.
[image|http://www.sfgate.com/templates/columnists/j_carroll/bylinelogo.gif||||] JON CARROLL
Thursday, October 18, 2007

I often get letters from people concerned about social injustices. "If only I can get this story out," they say, "then maybe someone will pay attention. All the public and the politicians need are the facts." In other words, the problem is ignorance, and once the media get all over the case, steps will be taken, laws will be passed, evildoers will be punished.

Yeah, well, maybe.

A few weeks ago, a CBS foreign correspondent named Kimberly Dozier published an opinion piece in the Washington Post called "What I Faced After Iraq." Dozier was wounded, airlifted out of the country and then contracted something called Acinetobacter baumannii, a multi-drug-resistant bacteria that almost cost her her leg.

Dozier: "Acinetobacter can multiply to dangerous levels when a person's immune system is compromised by blood loss or massive tissue damage. Only one antibiotic is 90 percent effective against it, and that drug can be toxic to the kidneys. That was the problem I had, forcing me to choose between losing my kidneys or going off the drug and hoping that my body would fight the bacteria on its own. I did the latter, and survived. But that took another measure of luck."

Dozier was not alone in contracting Acinetobacter baumannii. In fact, British and American soldiers who fought in the Iraq war have been getting it since 2004. Some of them have been dying. Plus, the disease has spread to civilians, including Iraqi civilians. The number of cases is growing.

Well. A CBS reporter writing a piece in the Washington Post: Surely that will attract attention. Surely questions will be asked. Since the epidemic began, the Army has been putting it forth that Acinetobacter baumannii is found "in the soil of Iraq." But, it now turns out, that ain't so. The only place the disease has been contracted is in hospitals.

Have you noticed any publicity on this matter? I haven't, which is odd. Deadly Disease in American Hospitals! Hard to Diagnosis, Cure Uncertain. Risk! Threat!

Interestingly, two weeks before Dozier's piece, Los Angeles Times reporter Jia-Rui Chong wrote a thrilling article ("A strange, drug-resistant bacterium was infecting troops. Few had heard of it, and no one was sure of its origin.") about, you guessed it, Acinetobacter baumannii. Not only that, in February of this year, Steve Silberman in Wired magazine published an exhaustive examination ("The Pentagon created the perfect machine for saving the lives of soldiers wounded in Iraq. But then GIs started getting sick. The culprit: a drug-resistant supergerm infecting the military's evacuation chain") of the bacteria and the efforts to fight it.

But it was known about long before then. In 2004 a task force was put together to find the nexus of the problem.

Silberman says that Tim Endy, the former communicable disease research director at Walter Reed, drafted a document that set the task force in action. " 'My concern was that we were changing the bacterial environment in our hospitals, and I wasn't seeing a whole lot being done about it,' says Tim Endy. ... 'And now there were infections in patients who had never been to Iraq. The potential consequences to health care and to the cost of health care are huge.' "

The group examined the "it's in the dirt" hypothesis. It also looked at the even more sensational "the enemy is rubbing infected feces on IEDs" claim. Nope and nope. It's found in hospitals. That's not particularly unusual: Hospitals are a terrible place to be in if you're sick - although, of course, better than lying in the gutter. A lead investigator on the military task force told a group of civilian epidemiologists: "This appeared to be a hospital-associated outbreak throughout our entire health care system."

In other words, to quote Silberman, "The wounded soldiers were not smuggling bacteria from the desert into military hospitals after all. Instead, they were picking it up there. The evacuation chain itself had become the primary source of infection. By creating the most heroic and efficient means of saving lives in the history of warfare, the Pentagon had accidentally invented a machine for accelerating bacterial evolution and was airlifting the pathogens halfway around the world."

So why is this not a big story? For one thing, the Army has not exactly sounded an alarm. Indeed, it's been sticking to the "it's in the dirt" story, which means that as long as you don't get Iraqi dirt blown into your open wound, you're fine. Understand, the numbers of people infected with this disease are very small - but the thing about infectious drug-resistant bacteria is they can turn a small problem into a big one pretty darn fast.

Not to be an alarmist about it, but there's a super germ right here in the U.S.A. that is hard to diagnosis and even harder to treat and, oh yeah, it's killing people

Wait, what are we talking about?! We decided?! My best interest?! How can you know what my best interest is? How can you say what my best interest is? What are you trying to say - I'm crazy? When I went to your schools, I went to your churches, I went to your institutional learning facilities. So how can you say that I'm jcarroll@sfchronicle.com.

New Frightening
and I found an lrpd in the comments:
The legal system should be reserved for record companies with file-sharing complaints against middle schoolers.
Smile,
Amy
New nothing bleach and betadine cant fix
its a shame that lister and pasteur's work have been neglected by our medical establishment in favor of squeezing the last friggin buck out of an overburdened publix health system
thanx,
bill
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New nonobelforyou..

New s/hospital/school/
Check out this here email I received yesterday from Naperville Community Unit School District 203's mailing list:
Subject: District 203 working with DuPage Health Department to address MRSA concerns
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 15:33:13 -0400 (14:33 CDT)

It was reported to District 203 and Naperville North administrators late afternoon on Wednesday, October 17, that we most likely had two confirmed cases of students with MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staphyloccoccus Aureus) infections. Both students have been treated and released by their physicians and were cleared to return to school.

In an effort to be proactive and precautionary, we chose to inform high school parents. Today, in response to media and parent inquiry, we decided to expand our communication in an effort to reassure the community and to encourage parents to review personal hygiene precautions with their children.

To view the Talk203 message sent to high school parents, please see the District 203 homepage, [link|http://www.naperville203.org|http://www.naperville203.org] and click on the News headline. If you are not a Talk203 subscriber, please click on the Talk203 box to register for this email notification service.

Edward Hospital has a very helpful web page with MRSA-related questions and answers and additional links posted. It is: [link|http://www.edward.org/body.cfm?id=760|http://www.edward.org/body.cfm?id=760]

We are working with the DuPage County Health Department, as is customary, and will follow their direction and guidelines to assure the continued safety of our students and staff.
It's not Acinetobacter baumannii, but it's here in my backyard. And I've got 2 kids in elementary school. Not the kind of email I was looking forward to receiving yesterday afternoon, I tell you what.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
Expand Edited by Yendor Oct. 19, 2007, 08:50:30 AM EDT
     Hot new untreatable bug coming to your hospital ... soon - (Ashton) - (4)
         Frightening - (imqwerky)
         nothing bleach and betadine cant fix - (boxley) - (1)
             nonobelforyou.. -NT - (Ashton)
         s/hospital/school/ - (Yendor)

If a doctor ever tells me I only have a week to live I am going to spend it in a meeting.
157 ms