IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No need. I remember some mechanics. :-)
My dad has an Expedition. It's big on the outside and surprisingly small on the inside. I don't like it much when I have to ride in it, but there you are. He doesn't do a lot of driving in it. He uses it for long trips and to haul stuff (he's got 14 acres and a big house to care for).

I agree with some of your ranting against UAVs. I think gas guzzler taxes should be imposed on these things to try to make them less popular, and that they should be forced to meet (substantially) the same safety rules as cars (with caveats like that an SUV will always be easier to roll than a Turbo Carerra), and they should meet the same emissions standards as cars, and the tax rules should be examined so that tax breaks aren't given to persons/businesses that purchase > 6000 pound GVW vechicles (as I believe is the case now - something that encourages them in some cases to purchase the bigger vehicle when the smaller one will do). But I also believe that they should be available for purchase by people who are willing to pay the price.

Just recently a young woman was driving her new Explorer home from the dealer, following a friend on the Beltway. It was a very windy day (gusts to 40+ mph). Traffic was heavy and they got separated. She was talking with him on her cell phone, something happened, she crossed the center barrier, the Explorer flipped over onto an oncoming minivan and she and 4 others in the minivan were killed. (I may have misremembered some of the details.) Lots of things combined to cause a terrible accident - distraction, speed, high CG, high wind, ineffective center barrier, inexperience driver in a new vehicle, etc. It might have never happened if even one of those factors was absent. And it might have happened anyway if she'd been in a different car...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Agreement.
Yes, I also agree that people should have the choice, just as - re skydiving, high-wire walking and.. (and if smoking & alcohol are legal - marijuana isn't even lethal! Speaking of 'risks'.) The accident you cite kinda dovetails with a similar (nonlethal) event: while Frontline was filming the Rollover show: they heard a crash nearby - upside down UAV! (not an Explorer this time). Synchronicity ?

BUT.. all the rest you mentioned. If it is social engineering to publicize the negatives of these turnover machines, to tax them as the disincentives they represent re the [oil] burden - and as an incitement for our next oil-wars: then I guess I'm for that level of social engineering. It indeed appears to be a direction which aids survival of us all, who have to share the roads with these time-bombs.

If I must have a HumVee, for whatever early psychological damage has caused me to 'need' the security of a tank or the look-at-me notoriety (?) - I should not be told NO by Big Daddy - but I should pay for the potential hazard I represent to *every other* driver, via their mistake or my own: which results in my riding-over all their safety barriers and slicing off their passenger compartment. Ditto when I rollover into path of an innocent.

Guess we agree that this falls under that Popular rubric, personal responsibility. I think the program also points out that it is virtually impossible to exaggerate the pure cupidity of the Corporate mind - in daily action, in the face of stark knowledge of the consequences for a statistically predictable number of victims.

Somehow the equation which balances x-lawsuits/deaths VS a net profit of sometimes $20K/car needs to be balanced by a FINE of similar cynicism towards the perps in suits. (Same lethal arithmetic as 30 yrs. ago - re the Pinto gas tank = also at Ford.) Ford isn't alone - just the most blatant to date.

(But that last is likely dreaming, in Murica 2002.)

Cheers,

Ashton
Working for Ford must feel a lot like working for M$.. I wonder about next: for how long 'we' will continue to deem that Corps are immune to every consequence of decisions like the above ones; for marketing lies - known to be lies at the time. Goes to the heart ---> of 'hype', no?
     Addicts support terrorism. - (Silverlock) - (36)
         let me put my strontium90 generator - (boxley) - (35)
             So it's a non issue with you? - (Silverlock) - (1)
                 Between the Oil companies and the ecowhiners were screwed - (boxley)
             Hey Box; thought you were too smart - (Ashton) - (32)
                 Everyone whines about energy and we already have the - (boxley) - (30)
                     I'm asking for a special favor - (Silverlock) - (28)
                         The Air Farce uses these generators in Alaska - (boxley) - (27)
                             I think there'e more to it.. - (Ashton) - (26)
                                 scaling up would present problems but no one looks!! - (boxley) - (25)
                                     As I think Rick M. pointed out a while back - - (Ashton) - (24)
                                         Speaking of UAVs, er SUVs... - (a6l6e6x) - (21)
                                             There's always a counterpoint - (wharris2)
                                             Thanks for general reminder - had it marked. - (Ashton) - (19)
                                                 You're mixing up the Expedition with the Excursion again. :) -NT - (Another Scott) - (10)
                                                     OK Make it the &%#@* Lincoln Navigator: ONE of them weighs - (Ashton) - (9)
                                                         Nope. Navigator = Expedition. GVW <> Curb Weight. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                             Yeah we did.. and ONE of those Does Weigh 7300# - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                 No need. I remember some mechanics. :-) - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                     Agreement. - (Ashton)
                                                         ya wanna stop soccer moms from driving them? - (boxley) - (4)
                                                             I just hate them - (wharris2) - (3)
                                                                 use the florida method of backing up blind - (boxley)
                                                                 Great timing - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                     A photo of that view - ALONE - (Ashton)
                                                 So... NOBODY here: watched "Rollover" last night on PBS? - (Ashton) - (7)
                                                     [raises hand] - (drewk) - (1)
                                                         Thanks, Drew - (Ashton)
                                                     >RAISE HAND< Having mentioned it, I watched it as well. - (a6l6e6x)
                                                     why do you blame the makers for stupidity of the drivers? - (boxley) - (3)
                                                         So you'd let M$ off the hook too? -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                             If the government mandated they make Windoze, yes - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                 Wagons are coming back - (drewk)
                                         Nit on the pope thing - (mhuber) - (1)
                                             Oops - right; Cardinal then? - (Ashton)
                     RTGs aren't a cure-all. - (Another Scott)
                 "Expedition buying Patriots" - THAT IS CLASSIC!!! -NT - (mmoffitt)

_ZN4_STL4tanhERKNS_7complexIeEE has been targeted for automatic cpu dispatch.
58 ms